Wrigglesworth, George Rev (1851-1900)

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Wrigglesworth, George Rev (1851-1900)

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence

        1851-1900

        History

        1851: born
        1883?: ordained
        1885-1887: PP in Bedford
        1887-[?] PP at King’s Lynn
        1900: died

        "George Wrigglesworth was born in Hull on St George's Day 1851, the son of John and Jane Wrigglesworth, both of whom had been received into the Church shortly before his birth. Thought to be in some danger, George was baptised on the day of his birth in the Church of St Charles, Hull. After his primary education, he was apprenticed to a Catholic chemist at Barton on Humber, where for many years he served in the sanctuary of the little chapel there. At the age of sixteen he wrote a pamphlet entitled "Proofs of the Real Presence drawn from the Protestant Bible" for the instruction of his non-Catholic friends. After completing his apprenticeship and passing the examinations of the Pharmaceutical Society he started to study for the medical profession. At the age of 23, however, he decided to abandon his medical studies and to study for the priesthood. In 1874 he went to St Edmund's College, Douay and then, in 1877, to the English College in Rome. Ordained priest at the Basilica of St John Lateran by Cardinal Monaco on 19 May 1883 he returned to England. His first appointment was the Church of the Holy Apostles in Norwich as assistant to a Father Fitzgerald. From, there he went to his first independent Mission at Wolverton, Bucks in 1884. He was moved again in 1885 to Bedford and, finally, in November 1887 he was appointed to King's Lynn in succession to Father Macdonald." text from PA28-07-04-18.

        Places

        Bedford, King's Lynn, Norwich

        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Related entity

        Macdonald, Stodart Rev (1884)

        Identifier of related entity

        P728

        Category of relationship

        temporal

        Type of relationship

        Macdonald, Stodart Rev is the predecessor of Wrigglesworth, George Rev (1851-1900)

        Dates of relationship

        1887

        Description of relationship

        Fr Wriggleworth became PP at King's Lynn in 1887

        Related entity

        Osman, George Ernest Rev (1888)

        Identifier of related entity

        P730

        Category of relationship

        temporal

        Type of relationship

        Osman, George Ernest Rev is the predecessor of Wrigglesworth, George Rev (1851-1900)

        Dates of relationship

        1888

        Description of relationship

        Canon Osman replaced Fr Wrigglesworth at Bedford ~1888

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Occupations

        Priest

        Note

        Member of the Guild of Ransomers as a White Cross Ransomer

        Control area

        Authority record identifier

        P729

        Institution identifier

        Rules and/or conventions used

        Status

        Draft

        Level of detail

        Minimal

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language(s)

          Script(s)

            Sources

            ransomers: https://bibleportal.com/dictionary/1910-new-catholic-dictionary/guild+of+our+lady+of+ransom [accessed 25-2023]
            image: [WAL-04-1-16] text: "This photo was kindly donated by Miss Winifred Wrigglesworth who lives in Hull. Her great-uncle Father George Wrigglesworth was the priest at King's Lynn (the parish included Walsingham) who built the Church and the Holy House Shrine. During the 1890's Fr. Wrigglesworth visited Rome to seek Papal Approval for the new Shrine from Pope Leo XIII. On August 19th, 1897, he received the Statue of Our Lady which was a personal gift from the Pope to Fr. George Wrigglesworth. be placed in the new Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. The next day under the auspices of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom (Father Fletcher was Master of the Guild) the first pilgrimage to the Slipper Chapel (now restored) took place. 'The Tablet' of June 12th and August 28th, 1897, has excellent accounts of these events.

            There is a memorial in the Holy House at Lynn which reads:
            "Pray for the soul of Revd. George Wrigglesworth who rebuilt this church and set up the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Born 23rd April, 1851, and died 14th December, 1900. R.I.P." Fr. Brian Ventham, S.M.

            Maintenance notes