A shrine to Our Lady in Hunstanton in North West Norfolk has been restored and consecrated in memory of Polish troops who helped defend the county from the threat of invasion during the Second World War. When The Church of Our Lady and St Edmund in Hunstanton was built in 1905, it was no larger than a Lady Chapel and could only seat a few people. In 1940, a unit of Polish soldiers, billeted at nearby Heacham, came to man an armoured train that protected the coast as far as King's Lynn. They built an altar and a shrine in the garden and outdoor services were held. Expansion of the church in the 1950s lead to the demolition of the shrine and altar. A Polish lady parishioner, with the support of the Polish and parish communities, decided to rebuild the shrine in the grounds of the Church to commemorate all the troops.
News items from The Catholic Universe