Fonds PA51 - Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury Parish, Wymondham

FEPOW Memorial books, Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury, Wymondham FEPOW Memorial Cabinet with embroidered cover, Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury, Wymondham Reredos & Altar, Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury, Wymondham Fr Cowin and Japanese officer, POW camp, Chungkai, Thailand Fr Cowin and Japanese officer in front of altar, POW camp, Chungkai, Thailand Fr M Cowin to leave parish - Journal Reredos design - layout Reredos design - description
Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

GB ARCHON 2913 PA51

Title

Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury Parish, Wymondham

Date(s)

  • Norwich Road Church Built 1952 (Creation)
  • Original Church opened 26-7-1917 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

4 folders; 1 plan (card)

Context area

Name of creator

(1883-1947)

Biographical history

1883: born San Francisco,California, USA
1914-1918: enlisted, Major
1926: ordained
1926-1934: Wymondham Mission
1934-1938: Cambridge
1938-1941: Thetford
1941-1945: Lowestoft
1945-1947: Sheringham

Archival history

RCDEAA Holdings:
CH1 Catholic Church History 47. News cuttings - c) Requiem Mass for Father Kenneth Chapman, Wymondham February 1983
INV1 Inventories - Wymondham 1965
XJT4 File 4. Wymondham
XNP10 Wymondham (1911-1935)
XEA12 Parish Files - post 1976 - 4. Wymondham (26/2/1976 – 24/12/1999)
XPD12 Parish Deposits - Wymondham - 1.Three news cuttings re New Extension to Church (2001-2003)

Northampton Archive transfer:
Accession 2019-1-12/1 - BP Parker papers: Wymondham

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

RCDEAA Holdings
Northampton Archive transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

PA51

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

14th January 1912 the inaugural service held at the RC chapel in Cock Street. This was built in the garden of Mr Glasspool, an organ builder, who had designed the chapel so he could test out the pipes of the organs he had constructed.
1920: RC Community moved to a new church in Town Green, Wymondham
1952: At Wymondham Church: The Far East Prisoners of War (FEPOW) Memorial Church was built by Fr. Malcolm Cowin, to be a permanent memorial to those who suffered as prisoners of war and internees of the Japanese during World War II. It is the only church of its kind in the world. The church acts as a ‘Living Memorial’ and is unique in being the only church dedicated to the memory of FEPOW and Civilian Internees of all Faiths and Nationalities.

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area