Fonds PA38 - The Sacred Heart Parish, St Ives

Sacred Heart of Jesus - Parish Guide Fr Johnson to Bishop: Price for lean-to extension to Church. Not really a full solution to accomm... Bishop to Fr Doupe: Detailed suggestions about the design / restructure of the chapel for £2000. Fr Doupe to Bishop: Likes the idea; rough plan enclosed. Sending in time for the meeting on Monday. Architect to Fr Collins: Summarising a number of bids for prefabricated church building (site not... Fr Johnson to Bishop: 1st draft of extension to St Francis of Assisi. Fr Doupe approves. Architec... St Francis of Assisi Church - site redevelopment - Front view St Francis of Assisi Church - site redevelopment - Rear view
Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

GB ARCHON 2913 PA38

Title

The Sacred Heart Parish, St Ives

Date(s)

  • 1901 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

5 series addressing Parish in St Ives

Context area

Name of creator

(1900-1954)

Biographical history

John Peter Arendzen was born in January 1873 in Haarlem, Holland, the eldest of nine and the first of four to be ordained to the priesthood in England. After his education in Holland, John entered St. Thomas' Seminary, Hammersmith and transferred, aged 20, to St. Mary's College, Oscott in March 1893 and ordained there on 21st September 1895.

After a PhD at Bonn University and his DD at Munich University, he graduated at Christ's College, Cambridge with a BA in 1901 and an MA in 1906 . Whilst there he was assigned to the Mission Church in St. Ives. Initially he celebrated Mass at a small wooden chapel, purchased by benefactor George Pauling, but such was his missionary zeal that from a base of no Catholics, by 1902, fifty six were evident and a larger church was required. George Pauling donated £1000 which bought the redundant Church of St. Andrew in Cambridge. This was dismantled, transported by barge to St Ives, and rebuilt on its present site in Needingworth Road, in less than 5 months.

On Sunday 16 March 1902, he laid the foundation stone which included the Latin inscription “AD FIDEM REDEANT ANGLI” ('May the English return to the Faith'). The church was reconsecrated on 9th July 1902 by Bishop Riddell, Bishop of Northampton and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. At the opening ceremony Fr. Arendzen's brother Leo acted as thurifer, their parents and three sisters were in the congregation.

Fr Arendzen was a tireless, devoted, eloquent and scholarly priest, totally dedicated to his life in the Church, and to whatever role he was assigned. He won a place in the hearts of parishioners, fellow priests, students and all who knew him. He had a reputation as a brilliant orator and was named by one national newspaper as 'one of the preachers of the century', no mean feat given that English was not his native language. He was a prolific author writing many essays, several articles to the Catholic Encyclopaedia in 1913, the Journal of Theological Studies, the Jewish Quarterly and annotations to the Douai Bible. His literary activity included the Catholic Gazette, the Catholic Times and several books, including: 'Ten Minutes a Day to Heaven', 'Heaven Sense: What Scripture and the Catholic Church Really Teach about Heaven'.

He died in London on 21st July 1954 aged 81, his Requiem Mass was held at Sacred Heart Church, Kilburn, across the street from the Arendzen family home.

Archival history

RCDEAA holdings:
DDS2 St Ives
XJT3 File 5. St Ives
XNP9 St Ives (1910-1934)
XEA 10 2. St Ives (9/12/1976 - 13/10/1999)

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

RCDEAA holdings

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Built 1843 to a design by Pugin and listed Grade II. Originally this building was located on Union Lane in Cambridge but became surplus to requirements on the opening of Our Lady & the English Martyrs and so was dismantled and moved to St Ives in 1901/2.

Note

Cambridge Daily News, 18 March 1902, "Sunday was a great day amongst the Roman Catholics of St Ives and neighbourhood. For the past two years they have worshipped in a wooden building in East Street. Now the former church of St Andrew, Cambridge, which was pulled down in 1894, has been secured, removed and re-erected at St Ives. The ceremony of laying the foundation stone took place in the presence of a vast concourse of people. The original church was somewhat deficient in light but this will be remedied by a clerestory light over the altar. The new building will be known as the Church of the Sacred Heart."

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area