- Built 1912 ; Rebuilt 1953 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2 archive boxes: Box 1, several diaries/minute books; Box 2, folders and 1 large photograph
Name of creator
1912: Subject of correspondence / PP at March
1931: Died (Peterborough)
XEA6 Correspondence (1974-1988)
XJT2 file 9 (1910-1948)
XNP12 Photo 13 - March Church (1912)
XNP6 Folder 1 - Correspondence (1912-1936)
XNP6 Folder 2 - Correspondence; Project; Stats; Events; Photos; Newspaper cuttings (1936-1940)
XNP13 March Parish – Notice Books (1931-1955) / March Parish- Mission Books (1912-1941)
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
In general access to material held by the archive (and described in this Fonds) will be by permission of the Archivist. Not all material will be accessible - this will be governed by Church Law, the Data Protection Act and local constraints. Normally an individual will be asked to provide proof of identity, describe the purpose of access required, and undertake to agree to and sign the conditions of access as presented by the Archivist.
Conditions governing reproduction
There is limited reproduction capability in the Archive. No bulk reproduction will be allowed. Charges may be levied at the discretion of the Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Boxes PA30-1 and PA30-2
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Extract from March Parish Year Book 1948 by Fr W Gaffney:
"March is the largest town in the Cambridgeshire Fens, and its chief glory is the parish church of St Wendreda, with its renowned angel roof. A certain William Dredeman is supposed to have presented this roof, which was carved by the finest craftsmen of the fifteenth century.
But the church itself dates from 1346 and thus enjoyed over two hundred years of Catholic life and practice.
Then came the dark days of the Catholic Church in England and it was not until 1909 that the Holy Mass was again celebrated regularly in the town. Then it was that the late Fr George Page, of Wisbech, commenced saying Mass in the house of Mr N W Vanderweyden, Wisbech Road March; and later, for ten months, in a barn converted into a Chapel at the same address.
About this time Mrs Tenn Brooke [Mrs MO Ten Broeck] came to the town and through her generosity, Fr Louis Allen was sent to March and the present temporary Church was opened. In 1922 he was followed by Fr W Clare who built the present Presbytery and for some years kept a small private school there. in 1936 Fr Mortimer Flanagan came to March and remained until 1943 when he was transferred to Swaffham where he worked until his sudden death in September 1946.
Fr JJ Lydiate SMM, took charge from 1944 to 1946 when his religious superior called him away to become Bursar at their Novitiate at Church Stretton. Among his many good works accomplished during his short stay, Fr Lydiate opened a Building Fund with the object of building a permanent Church at the earliest opportunity. This fund was to supplement a legacy of £1200 bequeathed by the late Mrs Tenn Brooke for the same object."
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata