Item 64 - Bishop to Pope: Petition to close Convents in Aldeburgh and Woodbridge

Identity area

Reference code

GB ARCHON 2913 PA02-01-01-64

Title

Bishop to Pope: Petition to close Convents in Aldeburgh and Woodbridge

Date(s)

  • 23-4-1942 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1 page; 2 sides; headed; typescript (copy)

Context area

Name of creator

(1940-1970)

Biographical history

Bishop: Appointed on 14 December 1940 and consecrated on 11 February 1941. Resigned on 17 January 1967.
Titular Bishop of Magarmel. Resigned the titular see on 7 December 1970.
Died on 25 March 1975.

Archival history

Pre 2018 holding: XNP1 Aldeburgh 136

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

RCDEAA

Content and structure area

Scope and content

A (rough) summary translation from the Latin:
Leo, by the grace of God and of the Apostolic See, Bishop of Northamptonshire, on his knees at the feet of Your Holiness, humbly sets forth the following:
In 1923, three sisters of the congregation of the diocese, "Sisters of Mercy", with the permission of their Ordinary and of the Bishop of Northampton and Minever, arrived at Woodbridge in the Diocese of Northampton, and set up a home and school.
In 1927, the number of the sisters grew, now in Aldeburgh in the same Diocese of Northampton, in a rented house and founded the school. They seemed to be always in a better financial state than might be is they had been carefully monitored. In 1935, some sisters left and founded a convent in the Diocese Plymouth.
Taking on his diocese last year, the Bishop of Northampton discovered the sisters in two Convents: in Woodbridge and Aldeburgh. Because of the problems (of their own making) they have gone to the Archdiocese of Birmingham to start again leaving one sister in Woodbridge. The Bishop of Northampton has visited this sister and heard that the sisters are in debt to £1450. Two sick sisters are there and the religious life is disrupted.
There is little hope of addressing these difficulties, except to release these few simple sisters from debt. The Bishop of Northampton deems it necessary for the seven sisters to be assigned to the same order in the Archdiocese of Westminster.
The sisters themselves and the Superiors-General of the Congregation of Westminster gives their consent. The convent of this Congregation in Crispin Street, London, had lately been a refuge for the sisters from the Woodbridge and Aldeburgh.
For that reason, the Ordinary in Westminster and Bishop of Northampton most humbly implore the help of the Bishop of the Apostolic See to recognise these extremely difficult circumstances and allow that the sisters are provided for, and through the sale of the house and its furniture to pay the debt for Woodbridge.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

PA02

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

393mm x 253mm

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area