- GB ARCHON 2913 WSHR-01-06-59
- c. 1981-4-10
Part of Walsingham Shrine
Not able to attend the Council meeting - at the Ransom Reunion at Nottingham Cathedral. He would have raised the matter of the correct title for the shrine.
Argues that the Shrine is "of" Walsingham and is not a Roman Catholic Shrine but a National Shrine. Originally known as the "Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham at King's Lynn" from 1897. Strictly speaking it should be either "...at the Slipper Chapel" or "...at Houghton-St-Giles". Fr Birch's excellent potted history would be better worded "National Shrine in the 14th Century Slipper Chapel under the care of the Marist Fathers. Shrine founded 1061; destroyed 1538; restored by Pope Leo XIII at King's Lynn 19th August 1897; translated to the Slipper Chapel by Cardinal Bourne 19th August 1934. The Walsingham Trust, &c." It is important to emphasise Cardinal Bourne's intention, despite the Second Master,Mgr John Filmer, taking his objections to Rome and finding the Cardinal was within his powers to do as he had.