The Diocese of East Anglia is a suffragan diocese within the Province of Westminster, erected on 13 March 1976 by the decree Quod Ecumenicum of Pope Paul VI, using territory taken from the Diocese of Northampton, which was created in 1850. After the Reformation, the area of East Anglia was soon placed under the care of the Vicars Apostolic of the Midland District, and later of the Eastern District, until the hierarchy was restored by Pope Blessed Pius IX.
Today, the Diocese of East Anglia incorporates the English counties of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire and the city of Peterborough.
For the purposes of civil law, the Roman Catholic Diocese of East Anglia was established under a Deed of Revocation and Appointment dated 2 October 1979.
It is a registered charity (Reg. No. 278742) and is made up of 50 parishes in the counties of Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, Suffolk and Norfolk. It also encompasses 24 Catholic schools and 2 inter-denominational church schools. A new primary school has received permission and is planned to be open in September 2022.
The East Anglia Roman Catholic Diocese Trustee was incorporated on 1 February 1979 and was appointed as the Custodian Trustee of the Diocese on 2 October 1979 under the terms of a Deed of Revocation and Appointment.
The objective of the Diocese is set out in its Deed of Revocation and Appointment as: "The advancement of the Roman Catholic Religion in the Diocese and for the service and support whether in the Diocese or outside the Diocese of charitable works and objects promoted by the Roman Catholic Church." This overall objective is accomplished through the network of parishes and schools throughout the Diocese, seeking to involve the community as a whole, and furthering ecumenical relationships.