History

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

History

Equivalent terms

History

Associated terms

History

37 Archive Record results for History

37 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

1061-1985 - supplement to "Walsingham - A Place of Pilgrimage for All People" by Claude Fisher

"Chapter 10 / The Joyful 1980s / continued from Page 69"
4 columns of text: "First ever undenominational Youth ANV - RC Golden Jubilee 1984 - Accommodation to include facilities for the sick and handicapped - Demand for Youth Accommodation - RC Directors' change - Mother Julian SSM"
Publisher's Note: "... in the event of a second edition being called for, as seems likely, it is not proposed as matters stand at present to make any alterations other than the foregoing to Chapter 10."

Fisher, Claude MBE KSG (-1985)

"A Great Gothic Fane" - JE Dore personal copy (annotated)

"A Great Gothic Fane: The Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist, Norwich ; with Historical Retrospect of Catholicity in Norwich"; printed 1913; published by WT Pike & Co, Brighton; 310pp + illustrations.

This copy, as is seen on the flyleaf inscription, was owned by Mr John Edward Dore, son of Mr Thomas Dore "The Governor" who was Clerk of Works at the St John the Baptist Church construction project from 1906 until completed. Mr JE Dore's contribution was as his father's "right hand man" presumably from 1906 to 1912, during which time he looked after various construction tasks.

Mr JE Dore has added a number of ink annotations regarding individuals and aspects of the building of St John's.

Appeal / Donor Pamphlet

Side 1: Landscape drawing of St Nicholas Church; "St Nicholas Ecumenical Centre"
side 2: History
side 3: The project
side 4: Plan drawing
side 5: The Appeal
side 6: The Foundation

The Guild of our Lady of Ipswich

Bishop Cary-Elwes to Fr Heptonstall: Manage funding process; Winnowing of list

Bickerdike was one of many excluded when the Beati list was winnowed from 250 as over 100 were turned down - perhaps later. Be careful about managing the fund (permission granted) and keep the monies for building/support separate from other monies. Recognise the need in such missions to harvest in-season to weather the off-season. Take care about the Squire - he has to change his ways before being received into the church. Exhortation to be prudent, discipline of a "common sense hardness".

Cary-Elwes, Dudley Charles Rev (1868-1932)

Bishop Cary-Elwes to Fr Heptonstall: Martyrs' beatification

Sending all Parishes with a connection to any of the 136 recently beatified English Martyrs, a copy of the picture displayed at St Peter's on 15 December. Two for Hunstanton: Bl. Henry Walpole (born in Docking and martyred on 7 April 1595) and Bl. Thomas Tunstall (martyred 13 July 1616) (provides a short history)

Cary-Elwes, Dudley Charles Rev (1868-1932)

Book of Mission - Aldeburgh

Contents from front:
1926-1930 – 2 pages of historical notes
1906 Statistics;
1907 Statistics, Bishop Riddell made first visitation & confirmation of 8 (23 April 1907);
1908 Statistics, Bishop Keating visitation & confirmation of 6;
1909 Statistics;
1910 Statistics; Bishop’s 2nd visitation& vows of Sister Mary of Sacred Heart
1911 Statistics; Bishop’s visitation – 15 for confirmation; two postulants receive the habit
1912 Statistics; collections
1913 Statistics; collections
1914 Statistics; collections; 42 Belgium refugees
1915 Statistics; collections; Bishop visit 25 for confirmation (19 were Belgian Children)
1916 Statistics; collections arrival of Fr Delaney, departure of Fr Coltee
1917 Statistics; collections; Bishop visit Sept 26; average military attendance at Mass 53
1918 Statistics; collections; average military attendance at Mass 56
1919 Statistics; collections
1920 Statistics; collections
1921 Statistics
1922 Statistics; collections
1923-1964 diary of events

Contents from Back (inverted): First Communion lists for 1907/1908/1909/1911/1912/1913 in manuscript

Book: Saint Mary's, Regent Road, Great Yarmouth, 1850-1950

Centenary Booklet
Front Cover: Title, Monochrome image St Mary's choir and altar
Back cover: External view of St Mary's, monochrome image
Inside front cover: SJ priests buried in Caister Cemetery; Priests (Superiors & Assistants) of St Mary's (1824 to 1948)
Contents: 1. The beginnings of the Parish P1g 1; 2. Don Claudio Lopez Pg7; 3. St Mary's Regent Road Pg12; 4. Growth in Nineteenth Century Pg 18; 5. Modern Times P27.

Lawrence, I St. Rev SJ

Book: The Madonna of Ipswich

Cover: "The Madonna of Ipswich" / by Stanley Smith / Foreword by the Bishop of East Anglia; Image of statue
Inside cover - Author's Note: Most people know of Lourdes and, in our own country, of Walsingham.... It is not always realised that the Suffolk county town of Ipswich was once a place of such pilgrimage. ... the history of the Shrine of Our Lady of Ipswich - Our Lady of Grace which stood in what is still called Lady Lane ... The Shine was demolished in 1538. ... But was it?"
Rest comprises: 31 chapters, Bibliography, list of Subscribers and an Index

Smith, Stanley WA (1907-1987)

Booklet: Our Lady of Ipswich

Cover: "Our Lady of Ipswich" /J John Parker 1s 6d /; Image of statue (Our Lady of Grace of Ipswich statue - permission of Rev H Wace, Cambridge)
Part 1 - A History of the Shrine (pages 1-11)
Part 2 - The Controversy (pages 12-17)
Part 3 - Epilogue (pages 17-19)
Acknowledgements page 20

Parker, J John

East Anglian Guild Magazine - The Magazine of the Guild of St Felix & St Edmund

The magazine was edited by Fr Thomson, a co-founder of the Guild. Originally a monthly magazine, during the war years (and to the Winter of 1948-9) it became a quarterly issue. The format comprised regular items (see contents file) of news from parishes, articles on the Catholic faith and belief, historical items, a series describing Diocesan Churches, clerical appointments, obituaries and an irregular listing of the Bishop's appointments for the month/quarter.
News from the Parishes were free form and depending on the parish may contain references to events (fetes, parties, visitations, confirmations, etc.), comments about clerical comings and goings, references to significant parishioners, births, deaths, marriages, war time restrictions and events, etc.

Thomson, John Henry Rev RD (-1968)

Folder Content #3 - History of Properties

"A BACKGROUND HISTORY OF THE PROPERTIES ON OFFER
The opportunity to secure property in the medieval centre of Walsingham ('Little Walsingham' on O.S. maps) described in these particulars is one which has probably not been available on this scale for generations. Most of the property on offer is in itself of medieval origin, the major portion having been part of 'The Falcon', one of the score or so pilgrim hostelries which in the Middle Ages accommodated some twenty kings and queens and countless thousands of their subjects who came to the world famous shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (1061 A.D.) until 1538.

Once again a world-renowned place of pilgrimage, it is estimated that Walsingham attracts half a million pilgrims and others each year. Among those who lodged in 'The Falcon', tradition has it that Erasmus, world-known Dutch scholar, came in 1511 and 1514. And Walsingham owes to him the story of much of its comings and goings.

Today, part of the front of The Falcon' is the house of the Marist Fathers. Alongside stands Walsingham's 'Old Bakehouse', now a restaurant, embodying at least in part, the southern section of the front. Behind these buildings stand various properties which appear to have formed the hostelry's south wing, of considerable length. Parts of this form Lots 3 and 4.

Adjoining Lot 4 and with its East front facing what was probably 'The Falcon's' spacious courtyard, around three sides of which the hostelry was built, is 'The Cottage' (Lot 5). Now a thoroughly modernised home it seems clear from the thickness of its wall and a remaining stone-framed window (N.B. This calls for expert verification) that this formed the rear portion of 'The Falcon'. West of "The Cottage' is its attractive old-world garden of manageable size.

North of the 'courtyard' runs "Almonry Lane", which connects the High Street with all these properties and at one time linked them with the public road, "Coker's Hill". The lane's name reveals its purpose, a way for the poor living west of the village to seek alms from the Augustinian Priory which with other religious houses of its day were the sole source of relief for the poverty-stricken,

The old barn at the west end of the lane was probably also Falcon property and has been converted into an attractive modernised Youth Hostel (Lot 2). It has proved for several years one of the most popular of the many hostels affiliated to the YHA (Easter Region). Its adjoining well equipped kitchen was a cart shed and later a stable. Because of its unusual charm, many of the 2,000 and over hostellers who have used it annually for over twelve years will greatly regret its transfer to the Friday Market Place.

In 'Station Road', leading out of the Friday Market are the adjoining sites of two demolished cottages (Lot 1) named by some wag 'the secret garden' which back on to the site of the former workhouse, a disgrace to humanity and which like the cottages was in use the first half of this century. The cottage sites are near to a driveway to 'The Cottage' (Lot 5). By its gateway, is the site of the 'cock fighting pit' used against the law' within local memory.

Fisher, Claude MBE KSG (-1985)

Fr Bob McCormick and the Northampton Diocese Travelling Mission

Manuscript annotation: "Written by Michael Hazell in Summer 2006"
Text:

Fr. Bob McCormick and the Northampton Diocese Travelling Mission

Canon Anthony Hulme had begun the work of providing an occasional Mass in the more remote parts of the seven counties of the Diocese at the end of the '40s. He worked from a base in Burnham Beeches called 'Fox Den'. For a short time he had the assistance of Fr. Robert Manley who worked from his father's home in Ipswich. 

Fr. Bob McCormick joined the Travelling Mission early in 1959. Bishop Leo Parker gave Fr. Bob a fortnight to make up his mind whether to accept the job or not. He said he hoped his answer would be "Yes", but that if he felt Bob would go 'off the rails' on this kind of work then he hoped he would tell him so. After a year Canon Hulme was appointed to Bedford and Bob then worked the Travelling Mission on his own from 1960 until it was closed in 1975 shortly before the division of the Diocese and the establishment of a new Diocese of East Anglia in June 1976. 

Before the great influx into the Diocese of people from London and Birmingham, much of East Anglia was rural, parishes were relatively few and many small towns did not have their own Catholic church, and were frequently a distance from the nearest Mass on Sundays. The Mission work was aimed at making some provision for the Catholics who lived in remote villages and towns, and was done in consultation and cooperation with the local parish priests. 

The work revolved round a rota of 'quarterly Mass centres'. These were villages or towns in which Bob offered Mass each quarter and gave the local Catholics the opportunity to have their babies baptised and provided instruction for the children. Each Sunday he offered Mass in two, and very often three, such centres. He was only able to go to each of the centres once every three months because of the large extent of the Diocese and the number of centres he established. 

There were some people, (very often living on the doorsteps of their own parish churches,) who questioned the usefulness of having Mass on such an infrequent basis. Bob's answer to this was that it is always beneficial to get the local Catholics together for Mass in their own villages or towns because the quarterly Mass provided an opportunity for the people to talk to a priest. It gave them a realisation that the Church was trying to provide them with the means to be the visible church in their localities, get to know each other as members of the same Church and community. 

Bob used to spend a few days in each place he was to say Mass, staying with a local family. It often intrigued him that he was likely to receive more spontaneous hospitality from those who were not Catholic. He suspected that some Catholics thought a priest lives off a 'golden platter’ and so were somewhat apprehensive about offering hospitality in case they might not come up to standard. Non-Catholics on the other hand were more likely to look upon the priest as just another human being in need of bed and board. But he always maintained that once he was known in a district there was never any shortage of offers of hospitality. 

In the first years of his missionary activity, Bob used a great variety of places in which to offer the quarterly Masses. These included village halls, British Legion halls, public house rooms, private sitting rooms, stately homes, theatres, a boxing ring, and the open air. Later in quite a few places he was able to use the local Church of England churches. He would book each of these venues for two hours, allowing himself half an hour to get them ready – putting out chairs and kneelers, setting the large tape-recorder to play "holy music' until the Mass began, finding a suitable spot to display the large carved statue of Our Lady, giving out Mass leaflets, and finally giving the whole place a good whiff of Prinknash incense to smother any noxious odours leftover from the previous night's riotous sessions in village halls and pubs. He would then hear confessions for half an hour before the Mass which lasted half an hour, and was followed by the same period of time given over to packing up before moving on to the next centre. This, repeated three times each Sunday, made for a fair day's work. 

Bob used a Land Rover in which to carry his kit and travel some 35,000 miles around the Diocese each year. Whilst having a remarkable thirst for fuel this proved to be the best vehicle for the job. His kit weighed about 5 cwt, and this was carried everywhere he went, month in and month out. He used to pick people up from remote farms and cottages and bring them to Mass and take them home afterwards. The Land Rover was ideally able to stand up to this constant heavy usage without heavy repair bills. In the winter months the Land Rover came into its own because with its four-wheel-drive it was able to keep going when most other vehicles had stopped. He often felt that he did more good with the Land Rover pulling cars out of snowdrifts during the bad winter months than by several years of preaching! 

When Bob went to an area for the first time he would usually have a few addresses of known Catholics. Some of these would be supplied by the parish priest of the district, some by the Bishop who would pass on letters he had received from people in the area who had written to him about the difficulties they had in getting to Mass. He would then call at these addresses and often get more leads about other Catholics living in the area. The local vicar would sometimes be able to provide a name or two, as would the local shopkeeper. In these and other ways he was able to build up a comprehensive register of local Catholics. 

Cynical clerical colleagues would often wonder what he did during the week. He would remind them that four days were spent in the village areas where he had Mass centres finding and visiting the people, arranging instructions for the children, and smoothing out arrangements for the coming Masses. On the weekdays when he was in the villages he would have a morning Mass in the houses where he stayed. Two separate half days were spent travelling to and from the work areas. The other two days were spent at his headquarters in Burnham Beeches writing letters and Mass notices, and preparing the next edition of 'Travelling Mission News'. He would always have at least 75 outgoing mail items each week. 

Over the years there was a slow development in the Mass centres. Each year he would hand over about four of his quarterly centres to the parishes so that they could be more regularly served from there. He was then able to include another centre from his waiting list, and begin the process over again. The average attendance at these Mission Masses was 34. Over half of these went to confession and received Holy Communion. About a third of those who attended would have managed to get to Mass elsewhere on a regular basis when the Travelling Mission was not in town, but the rest were unable to go to Mass in these circumstances.

Canon Hulme also had a trailer caravan chapel which was almost unroadworthy when Bob took over the TM. Bob was very excited when a newspaper gave him to understand that they would through their columns fund a project for a custom-built articulated mobile church. When they soon forgot this idea he resorted to making a mobile chapel himself out of an old Leyland Lion single deck bus. This had a permanent altar, stained glass windows, organ, Stations of the Cross, a large collapsible canvas porch and a large painting of Our Lady and Child in the indicator board on the front of the bus. Each year he tried to get the services of a priest from one of the Religious Orders to give a week's 'Mission' in one or two of the villages where Bob had his quarterly Mass. The Mission was given in the mobile chapel which Bob parked in the village for the week. He also took his chapel to the country agricultural shows each year, and usually got a good attendance at the daily Mass as well as a great number of interested folks on board during these shows. 

In February 1961 Bob decided to produce 'Travelling Mission News', a quarterly news-sheet, price 2d. In this he would give the programme of Masses for the coming 
quarter and include other items of interest about postal instructions for children etc. 

This was the programme of Masses for the first edition: 

Sun. 12 Feb: Mildenhall, Suffolk  8.30am 
Fordham, Cambs  10.00
Burwell, Cambs 11.30
Sun. 19 Feb: Wickham Market, Suffolk  9.00
Saxmundham, Suffolk 11.00
Sun. 26 Feb: Woolpit, Suffolk  9.00
Bildeston, Suffolk 11.00
Sun. 5 Mar: Upwell, Norfolk  9.00
Eye, Northants 5.00pm
12 Mar: West Walton, Norfolk  9.00
Barnack, Northants 5.00pm
19 Mar: Eye, Suffolk  9.00
Long Stratton, Norfolk 11.00
26 Mar: Irthlingborough, Northants 9.00
Sun, 2 Apr: Welford, Northants  9.00
Lamport, Northants 11.00
9 Apr: Boxford, Suffolk 9.00
16 Apr: Aston Clinton, Bucks  9.00
Cheddington, Bucks 5.00pm
23 Apr: Holt, Norfolk  9.00
Blakeney, Norfolk 10.30
Sun. 7 May: Histon, Cambs  9.00
Caldecote, Cambs 11.00
Haslingfield, Cambs  5.00pm
(This list includes only those centres which had quarterly Masses. More Masses were said on some Sundays, but not on a quarterly basis). 

Subsequent newsletters would relate the story of other centres where Mass would be said, including a number which were destined to become regular Mass centres in the parishes. Amongst these were Barton-le-Clay, where 70 were present for the first Mass on 29 January 1961, Trimley-St. Mary in Suffolk, Yaxley in Norfolk, Mildenhall, Suffolk, Holt, Norfolk, Blakeney, Norfolk, Long Crendon, Bucks, Woolpit, Suffolk. 

Fr. Bob's Travelling Mission Report for 1961 described how 3 Masses had been offered on 19 Sundays of the year. In total 3341 people had attended the 110 Masses. 7 new quarterly centres were opened, 4 existing centres were handed over to parishes for weekly Mass, 300 children were provided with postal instructions by Our Lady's Catechists. Illustrated slide talks on the work and needs of the TM were given at Bury St. Edmunds, Princes Risborough, Ipswich, Cambridge, King's Lynn. The mobile chapel (“The Mobile Busilica') had attended the Suffolk County Agricultural Show at Ipswich and the National Caravan Rally at Woburn Park - where 180 caravaners came to Mass in a large marquee provided by the Caravan Club and arrangements for the Mass were organised by the club entertainment officer! 

Statistics for 1964 revealed that 5,820 people had attended the Mission Masses and that a total of £398.12.8d was donated to the TM through the collection allowed by the Bishop on Home Mission Sunday. 

On 15 July in that year Fr. Bob was delighted to receive the Apostolic Delegate, Most Reverend Igino Cardinale, at the TM headquarters at Fox Den in Bucks.

Later that year the TM Land Rover proved itself on Christmas Day in combating the hazards of heavy snow and ice in the roads of the Fen districts of Upwell, Newton and Sutton St. Edmunds. The mobile crib which was used on a trailer from the beginning of Advent until the New Year came to an untimely end when the figures broke up through the vibration of trailer wheels on the roads. Fr. Bob was a man of many gifts, and he repaired all the figures and presented them to the new parish of Dogsthorpe which was in process of formation in Peterborough. He replaced them with figures made of unbreakable material, and the three open sides of the crib were fitted with clear perspex sheets so that the illuminated crib could be left on the trailer overnight in all weathers.

Other centres which were to be opened and supplied with a regular Mass by the TM were: 

SUFFOLK: Framlingham, Acton, Bures, Debenham, Dalham, Glemsford, Ixworth, Long Melford, Monks Eleigh, Newbourne, Orford, Rickinghall, Stradbroke, Wickhambrook. 

NORTHANTS: Bozeat, Braunston, Finedon, Hackleton 

BEDFORDSHIRE: Bromham, Harlington, Hockliffe, Houghton Regis, Totternhoe. 

BUCKS: Stewkley, Stoke Goldington, Waddesdon. 

CAMBS: Bottisham, Burwell, Cottenham, Impington, Soham, Thorney, 

NORFOLK: Attleborough, Bracon Ash, Brundall, Burnham Market, Holt, Long Stratton, Reepham. 

LINCOLNSHIRE: Sutton St. Edmunds.

In August 1975 Bishop Charles Grant of Northampton closed down the Travelling Mission. He informed Fr. McCormick he had reluctantly decided to do this in view of the pending division of the Diocese in June 1976 and the setting up of the new Diocese of East Anglia with a new Bishop, Alan Clark. The news was met by great sadness in all the Travelling Mission Centres as well as by the Missioner. He had worked tirelessly for 17 years in this specialist work, and became parish priest of Diss. 

Hazell, Michael Rev (-2021)

Fr Heptonstall to Bishop Cary-Elwes: Family connection; Fund proposal; Martyrs

Grateful for picture of Martyrs. Through the Bishop's work with Catholic Records Society, can the Bishop explain why the Venerable Robert Bickerdike (martyred at York) was not included in the Beati? He is an ancestor. William Bickerdike of High Bentham Lanes is his 2nd cousin. Requests permission to establish a fund with 3 options: 1. for the building of a permanent church; 2. using the interest to help the priest; 3. as an endowment. Current earnings are 17/- to 20/- per week (off season) and £3 to £5 (in season). The Squire gave a remarkable speech at the Silver Jubilee - a possible convert?

Heptonstall, Donald V Rev (-1954)

Fr Sloan to Bishop Clark: Mixed marriage; Female Servers at Mass; Church History

Ruling on a mixed marriage issue - groom cannot sign to bring up the children in the Catholic faith. What are the Bishop's views on girls serving Mass? (Apparently Fr Little at Beccles allows it). Include a copy of a church history [not present] written by Fr Sloan; also has a letter by Fr Howarth about Canon Mason's last hours - but last page missing.

Sloan, James Rev (1913-1988)

History - Great Yarmouth - Catholicism 1603-1950s

No author / no date
Text is:
GREAT YARMOUTH
Yarmouth had sheltered Anselm Beach,0.S.B., in the winter of 1603-04 – he had landed here in 1603, perhaps accompanied by Roland Preston, 0.S.B. - and it was visited by the Norwich Jesuits at infrequent intervals from at least as early as the time of Fr. Angier (1774-1788), in whose handwriting is a record: "To Yarmouth to comfort the people, to postchaise, £2-2s." The first intermittently resident priest was Joseph de Pierreville, a French emigre, who was offering Mass at least as early as 1809 in Dene House (a site partly covered now by Woolworths), belonging to the Bedingfelds, and who started a register in 1810 and signed it until he went to Oxburgh in 1815. The emigre Dacheux (doubtless once at Lynn) signs in 1816 and 1817, and d'Eterville, from Norwich, 1817-1820.

The Stewart family, which settled in the town about 1815, placed its house at the priest's disposal. The visits from Norwich took place every Sunday from 1822, and it was not until October l822, when Catholics were a dozen, that Joseph Tate S.J., came to live in the town. He bought a large corn warehouse in George Street and adapted it as a chapel and residence. It is now called Lombard House, and the chapel may be recognised from its two Corinthian pillars and small choir loft. When he left in 1835 the congregation numbered fifty to eighty. James Clough,S.J., succeeded him and was in turn followed, in 1841, by an exiled Spaniard, Charles Lopez, who had offered his services to the Society. On 24th September“1850, he opened the existing church of St. Mary in Regent Road, and a cemetery. When he left Yarmouth he had raised the congregation to 200 and left behind him a reputation for sanctity and friendship for the poor which is still fragrant.

A chapel was added to the cemetery on 5th September, 1867, whilst Rev. W. Clifford,S.J. was rector. The same year a few Notre Dame Sisters of Namur left after only a short stay, though the schools, built by Father Lopez continued in use as such until 1881, afterwards being used for other purposes. The Dames of St. Louis run a primary and high school. Lowestoft and Gorleston in Suffolk are both offshoots of Yarmouth, whilst Rev. Stephen Webb,S.J. saw three further Mass centres started, one of St. Thomas More, Hemsby, in 1947, that of Our Lady and St. Michael in 1948 in the Catholic Cemetery chapel on Caister Road, and that of St. Teresa of the Child Jesus at Acle in 1956.

When Fr. Lopez built the church, which is of ‘dressed’ flint, the site was on the sand hills, and people thought it quite out of place. Did they think his foresight foolish when on 22nd August 1950, a hundred years later, Bishop Parker consecrated it? A new site for a church has just been purchased at Caister. Fr. Dennis,S.J. has had the church beautifully restored recently, and has added a new window to St. Teresa.

Unknown

Results 1 to 20 of 37