File 06 - Ad Clerum

Identity area

Reference code

GB ARCHON 2913 DEA-09-01-06

Title

Ad Clerum

Date(s)

  • 1949 to 2002 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

See "Ad Clerum"

Context area

Name of creator

(1976-1995)

Biographical history

The Right Reverend Alan Charles Clark was born of convert parents in Bickley, Kent on 9th August 1919. When young he contracted polio and was taken to Lourdes. He made a recovery and set his sights on the priesthood. He studied at the Venerable English College in Rome and was ordained to the Priesthood for the Archdiocese of Southwark on 11 February 1945 (The Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes). He was involved in the Second Vatican Council as a peritus and was later to become the Vice-Rector of his old seminary in Rome. From there he would return to his Diocese of Southwark where he became Parish Priest of Our Lady Help of Christian, Blackheath, Kent before being selected as the new Auxiliary Bishop of Northampton with the Titular See of Elmham.

Bishop Clark was named the Co-chairman of ARCIC (Anglican/Roman Catholic International Commission). As the first bishop of the new diocese, he had to set up all the necessary instruments and commissions for the diocese. The diocesan offices and diocesan tribunal were at The White House in Poringland near Norwich. This estate had been given to the Diocese of Northampton by the Birkbeck Family. It was the residence of the retired Bishop of Northampton, The Rt Revd Leo Parker.

Bishop Clark continued in office until his seventy-fifth birthday made it mandatory for him to tender his resignation to the Holy See in 1994. This was accepted on 21st March, 1995 and at that point he became Bishop Emeritus. He retired to a house built in the grounds and died in the 16th July, 2002 at the age of eighty-two. He was buried near the Slipper Chapel in Walsingham, Norfolk.

Name of creator

(1906 - 1989)

Biographical history

Charles Alexander Grant was born in Cambridge on 25 October 1906. Ordained on 16 June 1935. He was a parish priest in Ely from 1943-1945. On 6 February 1961, he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Northampton and Titular Bishop of Alinda by Pope John XXIII. Episcopal consecration on 25 April 1962. He was appointed the Bishop of the Diocese of Northampton by the Holy See on 14 March 1967. He retired on 16 February 1982 as Bishop Emeritus of Northampton. He died on 24 April 1989 and was buried at Woburn Sands, Buckinghamshire.

Name of creator

(1940-1970)

Biographical history

Bishop: Appointed on 14 December 1940 and consecrated on 11 February 1941. Resigned on 17 January 1967.
Titular Bishop of Magarmel. Resigned the titular see on 7 December 1970.
Died on 25 March 1975.

Archival history

See Ad Clerum Fonds (GB ARCHON 2913 ADC)

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area