Ampleforth Abbey

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Ampleforth Abbey

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1802-

History

In 1792 the monks were expelled from France during the French Revolution. About the same time, Fr Anselm Bolton was resident in a lodge at Ampleforth. He had been Chaplain to Lady Anne Fairfax at Gilling Castle, just two miles away (formerly the site of the Preparatory School). She had built Ampleforth Lodge for him just before she died, but in 1802 Fr Anselm handed the house over to his brethren to be their new monastery. In the following year (1803) the new monastery school was opened.
‚ÄčIn 1900 the major monastic houses became independent Abbeys with their own elected Abbot. At this time Ampleforth was a community of just under 100 monks and the first Abbot of Ampleforth was Fr Oswald Smith, who continued in office until his death in 1924. He was succeeded as Abbot by Fr Edmund Matthews, who appointed Fr Paul Nevill as Headmaster of the school.
At its height in the mid-1960s there were 169 monks in the community. The community is now a third of that. The monks continue to work in the schools, on parishes, and in the hospitality apostolate, offering retreats and courses to the thousands of visitors who come to Ampleforth each year.

Places

1987: Ampleforth Abbey, York Y06 4EN

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Control area

Authority record identifier

CB223

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places