Showing 15 results

People / Organisations
Ipswich

Basil and David Hatcher

  • CB211
  • Corporate body
  • 1989

1989: Architect for Meryemana Foundation project at St Nicholas Church, Ipswich

Dennis, John Rev MA (1931-2020)

  • P591
  • Person
  • 1931-2020

1986-1996: Bishop of Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1994: Links with Meryemana Foundation
April 2020: died

Heley, Margaret Mary (Maire) Dr (1930-2020)

  • P547
  • Person
  • 1930-2020

1930: born
1978: Founding member of The Guild of Our Lady of Ipswich
2020: Died

Dr Maire Heley was born in St Albans on 22 July 1930 and attended a local convent school and grammar in London before winning a place at the Royal Free Hospital to study medicine. She won a national prize for surgery but always wanted to be a family doctor and after working at a hospital in Windsor she came to Ipswich as a GP. She had been a member British Medical Association for 66 years and a long-time parishioner at St Pancras, Ipswich.
She was instrumental in forging links with Nettuno in Italy which venerates a statue taken there by English sailors after it was rescued from the destruction of the English shrine. Maire supported, and was a representative at, many ecumenical functions in Ipswich. In her seventies she studied for the Maryvale Diploma in Evangelisation and Ministry and obtained a distinction. She also attended the East Anglia Diocesan adult learning courses that Bishop Michael Evans began.

Ipswich Borough Council

  • CB207
  • Corporate body
  • 1974-

Ipswich was a county borough from 1889 to 1974. Ipswich Borough Council was founded in 1974. The borough is covered by two parliamentary constituencies: Ipswich, which covers about 75% and Central Suffolk & North Ipswich, which covers the remaining 25%.

Ipswich Historic Churches Trust

  • CB208
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

1981: Ipswich Historic Churches Trust was set up by the Ipswich Borough Council to care for five medieval town centre churches.

1988: commenced dialogue with Meryemana Foundation regarding St Nicholas Church

Jackaman & Sons

  • CB099
  • Corporate body
  • 1923

1923: sale of Aldeburgh Presbytery to Diocese/Bishop

Johns, Slater & Haward

  • CB087
  • Corporate body
  • 1960

1960: Plans drawn for new Secondary School in Gorleston, Great Yarmouth

Leeder, "Sam" Francis A Rev (1940-2022)

  • P035
  • Person
  • 1973-2022

1963-1970: Curate, St Pancras, Ipswich
1970-1973: Curate, St John the Baptist, Norwich
9-1973 - 7-1981: PP at Woodbridge
1981-2019: Assistant priest / PP, St Pancras, Ipswich
2019: retired
2022: died

McBride, Edward Rev (1919-2011)

  • P118
  • Person
  • 1919-2011

20 June 1919, born at Rosyth, Fife. He studied at Blairs College, Aberdeen, then Scots College, Rome, in 1939 awarded a Bachelor of Philosophy. Ordained in December 1943. 1 February 1944, a curate to St John’s Cathedral, Norwich, before going to High Wycombe. 1951 Parish priest at Sacred Heart, Southwold for seven years and built a new church at Halesworth. 1958, priest-in-charge at St Peter’s RC Church, Gorleston - parish hall built and in 1964 the church was consecrated on the 25th anniversary of its opening. 1967, Dean of Ipswich and was responsible for opening St Mark’s Primary School and completing St Alban’s Secondary School. 1976, Canon McBride became administrator when St John’s was made a cathedral and became Vicar General. October 1980 he became Parish priest in Dereham for 2 years before going to St Mary Magdalane Parish in Ipswich. Before retirement he spent 12 years at St Joseph’s, Sheringham.
24 April 2011: died

Philpot, Anthony Rev (1935-2016)

  • P345
  • Person
  • 1935-2016

Tony Philpot was born in 1935 in Croydon. When war broke out the family moved to Bedford. Following education at Bedford School, he began his studies at the English College in Rome, was ordained in 1959, and returned to the Northampton diocese to serve as curate in Bedford and then the Cathedral.
His first pastoral charge was Leighton Buzzard, and, thereafter, all his parish appointments were in what became the East Anglia diocese. He went to Ipswich, Newmarket, and to Our Lady and the English Martyrs in Cambridge, where he remained for fourteen years. His time there, where his gifts as a talented preacher and a gentle pastor were much appreciated, was one of change.
Tony was involved in reorganisation of Catholic state secondary education in Cambridge. When the East Anglia diocese was established, Bishop Clark put him in charge of RE, and later made him vicar general. The 1980s were a time when support to diocesan priests was given priority, and he co-ordinated this work. He also become involved in the Jesus Caritas Fraternity, and eventually became the worldwide responsible. This took him out of the country frequently, and, as a seasoned traveller, he soon learnt the perils of lost luggage. He boasted that he could be away for three weeks, just taking hand luggage with him and washing his clothes on a daily basis.
He was elected to the Old Brotherhood of the English Secular Clergy, the successor of the body which had, in penal times, been responsible for governing the Church in England. When he left Cambridge in 1994, Tony took the unusual step of returning to Ipswich, but was soon asked to look after Palazzola, the country villa of the English College, close to Lake Albano. He was increasingly asked to give retreats, and many dioceses benefited from his accessible wisdom and deeply-rooted spirituality. He wrote two books – ‘Priesthood in Reality’ and ‘You Shall be Holy’. Unsurprisingly, he was asked to move to the College to become Spiritual Director, a post he held for five years.
Retirement took him to Peterborough, where his linguistic gifts were harnessed in ministering to the large Portuguese-speaking community. After some years there he decided to move to London when an independent-living flat became available at St Anne’s in Stoke Newington. On being diagnosed with cancer he was transferred to the nursing home section of St Anne’s, where died on 16th July 2016.

Sketch, Anthony E Rev ( -2012)

  • P301
  • Person
  • -2012

1977-1982: PP at St Mary Magdalen, Ipswich
?-1995-?: PP at Our Lady Star of the Sea, Lowesoft
2009: Retired from Lowestoft
2012: died

Smith, Stanley WA (1907-1987)

  • P582
  • Person
  • 1907-1987

"His working life as a botanist specialising in seeds. As the representative of an international seed-producing consortium of companies he gave his expertise to hundreds of horticultural nurseries and commercial greenhouses"
1907: born
1946: converted to Catholicism
1955: moved to Ipswich
1974: retired (aged 67)
1980: Published a book
1987: died - reported in Guild minutes 8-6-1987

Strutt & Parker

  • CB103
  • Corporate body
  • 1963

1963: Valuation of a house in Aldeburgh

The Guild of our Lady of Ipswich

  • CB197
  • Corporate body
  • 1977-

In 1977, the Guild of Our Lady of Ipswich (later renamed Meryemana) was founded with two aims – to pray for Christian Unity and to plan and achieve the re-establishment of the shrine of Our Lady of Grace at Ipswich.

On 10th September 2002, the Statue of Our Lady of Grace was blessed and installed by the Bishop of Richborough in the church of St Mary at the Elms, Ipswich. The statue, a replica of the statue at Nettuno, was carved by local artist Robert Mellamphy. The ceremony took place in the presence of the Bishop of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich, the Roman Catholic Dean of Ipswich (Monsignor Peter Leeming), Father Andrew Philips of the Orthodox Church and the Reverend Elizabeth Bellamy of the Methodist Church.