Showing 27 results

People / Organisations
Cambridgeshire

Arendzen, John Peter Rev (1873-1954)

  • P206
  • Person
  • 1900-1954

John Peter Arendzen was born in January 1873 in Haarlem, Holland, the eldest of nine and the first of four to be ordained to the priesthood in England. After his education in Holland, John entered St. Thomas' Seminary, Hammersmith and transferred, aged 20, to St. Mary's College, Oscott in March 1893 and ordained there on 21st September 1895.

After a PhD at Bonn University and his DD at Munich University, he graduated at Christ's College, Cambridge with a BA in 1901 and an MA in 1906 . Whilst there he was assigned to the Mission Church in St. Ives. Initially he celebrated Mass at a small wooden chapel, purchased by benefactor George Pauling, but such was his missionary zeal that from a base of no Catholics, by 1902, fifty six were evident and a larger church was required. George Pauling donated £1000 which bought the redundant Church of St. Andrew in Cambridge. This was dismantled, transported by barge to St Ives, and rebuilt on its present site in Needingworth Road, in less than 5 months.

On Sunday 16 March 1902, he laid the foundation stone which included the Latin inscription “AD FIDEM REDEANT ANGLI” ('May the English return to the Faith'). The church was reconsecrated on 9th July 1902 by Bishop Riddell, Bishop of Northampton and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. At the opening ceremony Fr. Arendzen's brother Leo acted as thurifer, their parents and three sisters were in the congregation.

Fr Arendzen was a tireless, devoted, eloquent and scholarly priest, totally dedicated to his life in the Church, and to whatever role he was assigned. He won a place in the hearts of parishioners, fellow priests, students and all who knew him. He had a reputation as a brilliant orator and was named by one national newspaper as 'one of the preachers of the century', no mean feat given that English was not his native language. He was a prolific author writing many essays, several articles to the Catholic Encyclopaedia in 1913, the Journal of Theological Studies, the Jewish Quarterly and annotations to the Douai Bible. His literary activity included the Catholic Gazette, the Catholic Times and several books, including: 'Ten Minutes a Day to Heaven', 'Heaven Sense: What Scripture and the Catholic Church Really Teach about Heaven'.

He died in London on 21st July 1954 aged 81, his Requiem Mass was held at Sacred Heart Church, Kilburn, across the street from the Arendzen family home.

Cawthorne, Garard (Gary) Rev

  • P697
  • Person
  • 1981-1993

1982-1985 - St Edmunds, Bury St Edmunds
1986-? - St George's, Norwich
1988-1989 - Our Lady and English Martyrs, Cambridge
1990-1993 - (Our Lady of Lourdes), Dogsthorpe, Peterborough

Clare, Wallace George Rev FRSA, FIGRS (1895-1963)

  • P090
  • Person
  • 1895-1963

1895: born
1918: ordained
1922 - 1936: PP at March
1963: died

Wallace George Clare was born in Ipswich and brought up in Suffolk. Educated at Lowestoft College, St Wilfred’s College, and Paris. At seven, he decided to become a clergyman; by nine the curly headed schoolboy nicknamed “Bubbles” had begun his life-long interest in books and genealogy which led to his founding the Irish Genealogical Research Society in1936. At eleven, a visit to an RC church brought him to Roman Catholicism. Father Clare was sent to Paris for training and appointed a Curate at Northampton Cathedral until 1922 when he became the Parish Priest at March, Cambridgeshire.
There, he was a continual surprise to his Bishop. In 1923 Fr Clare wrote of the good work on the presbytery; “1st I heard about a Presbytery being started!” replied the Bishop. Fr Clare’s artistic and theatrical friendships enabled him to convince London artistes to perform concerts in rural March for church funds. The Bishop curtailed these since, whilst well received, they turned very little profit. In 1924 he asks the Bishop if he may erect shrine in Church in honour of St Wendreda. His supporting historical research includes a photograph of an Indulgence granted to parish church by Cardinal Wolsey in 1526; could the Bishop renew it in favour of March church of Our Lady & St Peter?
Soon after, Fr Clare’s presbytery became a small school for “difficult boys”. However, someone sent the Bishop the school’s prospectus, which he queried. Fr Clare replied that it was not truly a prospectus since it was not a school, in the strictest sense; taking only abnormal boys for supervision and treatment. The prospectus was a “camouflage to save the feelings of parents of mental boys whose friends might find out that they are in March”. Pupils were medically examined and once a cure is effected the boys can be taught by qualified teacher. Fr Clare apologised for his thoughtlessness and was “always anxious to make right any wrong”. A contemporary of [Dame] Nellie Melba wrote to say his son was much improved, indeed unrecognisable, following Fr Clare’s schooling.
Fr Clare maintained his interest in theological and ecclesiastical affairs and did much research and writing; he amassed a large collection of books on every aspect of religion and the Church. He published books and articles which included “The Historic Dress of the English Schoolboy”, “A Young Irishman’s Diary”, the diary of his grandfather, John Keegan of Moate, “A Simple Guide to Irish Genealogy”. His life work was the Convert Rolls (uncompleted) making biographical and genealogical notes to the lists of Converts to the Protestant Faith.
Fr Clare dreaded the March winters, which in 1962 exacerbated his bronchitis and he retired, going to the Franciscan Sisters at Maryland, Milford on Sea, and died in April 1963.

Drury, John Patrick Rev (-2011)

  • P046
  • Person
  • 1977 - 2011

1977 - 1981 PP St Ives
7-1981 - 5-1986 PP at Woodbridge
25-7-2011 died, buried at Miltown Malbay, Co. Claire, RoI

Fennell, John Rev (1929-1977)

  • P166
  • Person
  • 1929 - 1977

Father John Fennell died on Sunday 28th December 1997 of a heart attack whilst on holiday in Dublin. Born in Dublin in November 1929, educated at Belvedere College, Dublin, and at Clonliffe Seminary (University College, Dublin); later at the French College and the Scots College, Rome. He was ordained on 17th April 1954. His first appointment was as curate to Kettering then as a curate in Norwich and as chaplain to the University of East Anglia. He had of appointments as parish priest in Sawston, St Patrick's, Corby, St Anthony's, Farnham Royal, Biggleswade and Wellingborough. He is buried In Dublin.

Fitt Ltd Construction

  • CB275
  • Corporate body
  • 2015-

2015: Quotation for work on RC Church, Hunstanton

Hulme, Anthony Rev DD DCC MA (1908-1987)

  • P434
  • Person
  • 1908-1987

1908: born
1939: ordained
1949-1959: Diocese of Northampton Travelling Missioner
1959-1984: Parish priest of St. Joseph’s, Bedford
1981: Member of Shrine Council
1987: died

Maddison, Paul Rev

  • P054
  • Person
  • 1996-2010

1996: Bishop's private Secretary
2001-2010: PP at St Ives

Nesden, Bernard Rev (-1999)

  • P209
  • Person
  • 1970-1991

1970-1977: PP at St Ives
1983-1995: PP at Hunstanton
1995: retired
1999: died

Northampton Travelling Mission (1948-1975)

  • CB104
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-1975

The Travelling Mission was a Mass providing mobile ministry of the diocese of Northampton which operated from 1948 to 1975, the year before the diocese of East Anglia was formed out of Northampton’s eastern counties.
The diocese had been established for over 90 years but, being a largely rural diocese, its parish churches and mass centres in the countryside were few and far between, especially in East Anglia, and many Catholics living in rural villages and small towns found it very difficult to get to where Sunday Mass was being said. This could involve a journey of many miles and become even more difficult in the wintertime.
The idea of a Travelling Mission had first been mooted in late 1945, in an article which appeared in the 1946 Yearbook. It is not clear who wrote the article, but Bishop Parker refers to it favourably in his preface to the 1946 Northampton Diocese Directory. The notion was inspired by a similar and well-established venture in the Archdiocese of Southwark, which had been operating since the mid-1920s. The author commented that Southwark’s “rural extent ... has conditions not very much different from those ... in the seven counties which comprise the Diocese of Northampton ... the largest in England in extent, but with the smallest estimated Catholic population”.
Three years later in the 1949 yearbook, the editor reported “a Travelling Mission for the Diocese is now an accomplished fact… His Lordship the Bishop launched the scheme in July of 1948”. An impressive list of rural locations visited in the latter half of 1948 bears witness to the energy of the first Missioner, Father (later Canon) Anthony Hulme, who was then aged 40, having been ordained in 1939 and served at Northampton Cathedral during the war, and being sent off to the English College at Rome for further studies in 1946. When he began his travels, the Mission was based at Ely, and made use of an ordinary car, without an attached trailer-Chapel, which was “as much an advantage as not, as it means that local Catholics and others rally round more in providing a place for Mass, so that they take a more personal interest in what is going forward. A variety of places have been used for Mass: a Corn Hall, a room that used to be a chapel of sorts, a studio, a hut, a tea-room, a room over a restaurant, a Cinema, the well of a vast stairway,… Great great variety of rooms in private houses, farmhouses, cottages, council houses. A room in an Anglican school, a Nissen hut, in a hostel.” It was claimed that in 15 places the Holy Mass had been said for the first time since the Reformation
The Missioner was kept busy with a great deal of correspondence between trips, liaising with local hosts, the local parish priest, preparing and posting out a fleet of letters to all the Catholics in a district whose addresses were known, following up requests for reception into the Church, baptism of children, convalidation of marriages, etc.
Initially, the financing of the Travelling Mission came directly from the Bishop’s Poor Mission Fund, supplemented by a grant from the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom.
Fr. Hulme continued in this role until 1959 when he was sent as parish priest to St Joseph’s, Bedford, where he ministered for 35 years until retirement in 1984. In the 1956 yearbook he had reported “though the travelling Mission, started in 1948, is now largely a matter of routine, new centres are being founded all the time.” One of the tiny places visited in 1955 had been Milton Keynes!
By this stage the Mission was also including a Travelling Crib for its Christmas Campaign. It had moved its base to a large residential property owned by the diocese at Fox Den in Burnham, near Slough. A report in the summer 1959 edition of the Diocesan Magazine makes it clear that by that stage it was using a Trailer Chapel, specifically a Wilson-Mather Mobile Church.
In 1959, Fr. Hulme was given an assistant, Fr. Robert McCormick, who had been ordained only three years previously and had been serving at Peterborough. When Fr. Hulme went off to panic parish ministry, Fr. McCormick took over and served as the Travelling Mission for another 17 years.
Within a short time, as reported in the spring 1961 Diocesan Magazine, Fr. McCormick had managed to get hold of a secondhand single-decker bus and was in the process of converting the interior of this to serve as a mobile chapel, with a permanent altar, “stained-glass” windows, a harmonium, stations of the cross, and a collapsible canvas porch. Inevitably, he appealed for funds to help with the cost of this, and was amazed to receive a donation from Zanzibar! Fr McCormick had a set of colour slides that he used in presentations to raise awareness of the work of the Travelling Mission, but sadly the whereabouts of these are now unknown. By 1970 he was reporting that he was frequently able to celebrate Mass in a local Anglican Church, although there were occasional difficulties with traditional Anglican vicars who objected to his use of his portable altar for saying Mass facing the people. If he was sure of getting the use of a fixed venue, he would make his journeys by Land Rover, which he found to be the only vehicle suitable for fetching outlying Catholics from their farms and cottages, and pulling other vehicles out of the snow!
But for organised week-long missions the bus would be parked in a village and used as a base to deliver catechism for local children, and as a preaching venue for a visiting priest from one of the religious orders, just like a parish mission. Fr. McCormick found it valuable to park the bus, with permission, at County/agricultural shows where it attracted much interest. As one old man from Ipswich commented, after seeing the bus arriving at its destination, “I’ve often gone past the church, but it’s the first time the church has ever gone past me!”
In 1965, in one of the Travelling Mission newsletters which he had begun to publish when possible, Fr. McCormick was enthusing about the benefits of being able to say the Mass in English, facing the people, as a result of the second Vatican Council.
Bishop Grant closed down the Travelling Mission in August 1975 in view of the pending division of the diocese in June 1976. Fr. McCormick, sent to be the parish priest in Diss, Norfolk, ruefully commented “I can see the day when, in order to keep the presence of the church alive in the community, there will have to be another form of mobile approach”. Has this been achieved, in a way he could not foresee, by the Internet age? Or, as more and more small churches are closed because of the shortage of priests, is there still room in the 21st century for some form of mobile physical presence of the Mass, by means of a caravan, motorhome or large tent?

Phillips, Thomas Kemp Rev (1883-1947)

  • P238
  • Person
  • 1883-1947

1883: born San Francisco,California, USA
1914-1918: enlisted, Major
1926: ordained
1926-1934: Wymondham Mission
1934-1938: Cambridge
1938-1941: Thetford
1941-1945: Lowestoft
1945-1947: Sheringham

Results 1 to 20 of 27