Showing 1012 results

People / Organisations

Bush, David Mr BArch FRIBA

  • P388
  • Person
  • 1969-2017

1969: Proposal for restructuring Leiston Church

Qualified as an architect from Liverpool University in 1947; trained on the Southwark Ordination Course (1973) before serving title as Assistant Curate at All Saints in Douglas (1977-80). He became Vicar at Marown (1980-87) and also served as Hospital Chaplain at Cronk Grianagh and Ballamona (1980-86).

Butler, Arthur Stanley George Mr (1888-1965)

  • P253
  • Person
  • 1888-1965

1941: writing to Bishop of Northampton
1965 Obituary: Andrew Butler came of a distinguished English academic family but he was born and brought up in St Andrews, where his father was Professor of Moral Philosophy, and must have acquired in that exposed place, in the sandstone house looking due north towards the heights of Forfar, the physical and moral toughness which were so characteristic of him. He disliked cars and rode a powerful motorcycle well into his seventies. He was at Rugby and the AA and won a. travelling award, but there is no evidence that he ever in his life went farther afield than France, whose architecture he loved. He was invalided out of Flanders, wounded and shell-shocked, in l9l7, and built his first house, taking out the quantities himself, and taking some satisfaction in having precisely two bricks left at the end of the job. In the twenties and thirties, he had a pleasant country- house practice, and after being received into the Roman Catholic Church he built or altered a number of small churches. He took one or two pupils into a little office the atmosphere of which was gay and at the same time rigorous: he drew every detail of every building himself.
Butler was and remained a Victorian, blinkered but formidable, and one of the last of the scholar-architects. He had, of course, no use for modernism, he avoided all band-wagons and had difficulty in remembering people's names. He himself will certainly be remembered for his monumental 3-volume memorial to Lutyens, whom he believed to be the greatest architect of his time. This was the outcome of years of exhausting struggle among the master's huge accumulation of drawings.
He also wrote a monograph on Bentley, a subtle statement of his aesthetic philosophy called “The Substance of Architecture” and a delightful biography of his beautiful and noble grandmother, Josephine Butler, to whom he was devoted. After the last war (when he was among those who kept watch in the roof of St Paul's) he took increasingly to water-colour painting and had several shows. He was an East Coast man and disappeared whenever he could to his cottage at Burnham Qvery, where he died alone.
Esher, RIBA Journal July 1965

Butler, Basil Edward Christopher Rev OSB (1902-1986)

  • P491
  • Person
  • 1902-1986

1980: writing to Bishop Clark

Basil Butler was a convert to Roman Catholicism from Church of England.
He was a Roman Catholic priest, the 7th Abbot of Downside Abbey, one-time Abbot President of the English Benedictine Congregation, an auxiliary bishop of Westminster, an internationally respected scripture scholar, a consistent defender of the priority of the Gospel according to Matthew, and the pre-eminent English-speaking Council Father at the Second Vatican Council (1962–65).

Butler, Michael Rev

  • P503
  • Person
  • 1982

1982: Impressed by Walsingham changes

1980-2001: PP at Brightlingsea-with-Wivenhoe Parish in Essex
2001-2019: PP at The Assumption of our Lady, Old Harlow
2019: retired

Buxton, Aubrey Leland Oakes (1918-2009)

  • P543
  • Person
  • 1918-2009

1977: writing to Bishop Clark

Aubrey Leland Oakes Buxton (Lord Buxton of Alsa), television executive and naturalist, born 15 July 1918; died 1 September 2009

His father was Leland William Wilberforce Buxton and his mother, Ada Mary Oakes. He was the great-great-grandson of the anti-slavery campaigner Sir Thomas Buxton. He was educated at Ampleforth College in Yorkshire and graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge. He served in the Royal Artillery in the Second World War and was decorated with the Military Cross in 1943.
From 1958 to 1988, he was a Director of Anglia Television. He was best known for creating the nature documentary series Survival, which ran for four decades; a co-founder of the World Wildlife Fund; involved with the Natural History Museum, the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust and the London Zoological Society. In 1976 he and Lady Buxton donated a 10 hectare estate near Elsenham to the Essex Wildlife Trust, and it is named the Aubrey Buxton Nature Reserve.
In 1964, he was Extra Equerry to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and in 1972 High Sheriff of Essex. He became Deputy Lieutenant of Essex in 1975 and held this office until 1985.
On 11 May 1978, he was created a life peer as Baron Buxton of Alsa, of Stiffkey in the County of Norfolk. In 1996, Buxton, was invested as a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO).

Buxton, John Joseph MBE (1927-2014)

  • P299
  • Person
  • 1995

1995: writing to the Bishop about possible ending of Mass in Hemsby
John Joseph Buxton was born in Geneva in 1927 where his father, Captain Anthony Buxton, was with the League of Nations. His father bought the 1,700-acre Horsey Hall estate in 1930. which was given to the National Trust in 1948.
John Buxton served in the Royal Norfolk Regiment, stationed in Germany from 1946, and then went to Trinity College, Cambridge, to read agriculture. In 1958 he married Bridget de Bunsen at Sheringham’s Catholic Church, in the same year he took over the estate, , and it became his life’s work to nurture its wildlife. His role as a conservationist, who could protect the cranes from over-enthusiastic birdwatchers, was crucial. In 2005, Natural England presented Mr Buxton with a Green Oscar for caring for and protecting Sites of Special Scientific Interest.
He was a deputy lieutenant of Norfolk and was made an MBE for services to conservation in 2007.

Byrne, Anne Mrs

  • P448
  • Person
  • 1989

1989: Member of Shrine Council for Our Lady of Walsingham

Byrne, Patrick

  • P612
  • Person
  • 1993 - 2015

Editor of Diocesan Newspapers:
The Key / Jubilee East / The Key (1993 to 2003)
Our Diocesan Family (from before 2006 to July 2013 (last edition))
Catholic East Anglian (January 2014 to March 2015)

C W Glover & Partners

  • CB024
  • Corporate body
  • 30-3-1949

Proposals for new Church at March made in 1949.

CAFOD (1960-)

  • CB078
  • Corporate body
  • 1960-present

Cambridge News

  • CB115
  • Corporate body
  • 1924

1924: undated cutting of an article about Fr Davidson's departure to Aldeburgh Mission.

Cambridgeshire Area Health Authority

  • CB054
  • Corporate body
  • 1973 - 1993

National Health Service Reorganisation Act 1973, created Cambridgeshire Area Health Authority, which was subordinate to the East Anglian Regional Health Authority. Following the passage of the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990, when NHS Trusts were established.

Campbell, Smith & Co Ltd

  • CB073
  • Corporate body
  • 1873-present

1966: quotation for the interior decoration of Wymondham church. [Although not identified as work done, see www.campbellsmithandco.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Record-of-Work-to-1987.pdf accessed 26-5-2019].

Company website: http://www.campbellsmithandco.co.uk/ (accessed 26-5-2019)

Campion House College

  • CB214
  • Corporate body
  • 1914-2004

Campion House was a Roman catholic college run by the Society of Jesus in the Archdiocese of Westminster. Originally a Victorian mansion called Thornbury House. In 1911, it came under the ownership of the Society of Jesus as a retreat house. After the First World War the name was to Campion House College and it became place to help young men, with a late vocation, to progress in their training for the priesthood. The college was not just for the Jesuits but for students from all the Catholic dioceses of England and Wales, other religious orders and from outside of the UK. The college provided its own newsletter Stella Maris.
In the early 1960s, over 160 men were annually being trained. So it was decided to make the college permanent and for it to serve all men who had a late vocation. However, from the 1970s, student numbers lessened and by the turn of the 21st century, students numbers had gone down and the house was used more as a retreat centre. So in April 2004, it was announced that it would close. Its closure was marked on 12 May 2004 by a Mass at Westminster Cathedral led by the Archbishop of Westminster.

Results 121 to 140 of 1012