Showing 42 results

People / Organisations

Arthur Gibbs

  • CB121
  • Corporate body
  • 1920

1920: Sale of Hut for Church at Leiston

Bond, Arthur

  • P479
  • Person
  • 1971

1971: Land enquiry
Owner of The Black Lion Hotel, Walsingham

Bowhill & Elliott (East Anglia) Limited

  • CB231
  • Corporate body
  • 1944-

1944: Bowhill Elliott and White (Ipswich)
1980: Own the wall on Lady Lane, Ipswich, upon which a bronze relief and plaque were installed by The Meryemana Foundation Ltd.
1983: Change of name to "Bowhill & Elliott (East Anglia) Ltd"
2013 or earlier: trading in London Street, Norwich

Burns Oates Retail Ltd (1835-1969)

  • CB094
  • Corporate body
  • 1835-

1835: founded
1964: arrangements re return of damaged crib figure
1969: Staff redundant and stores sold off as company is sold to Daughters of St. Paul [Catholic Herald article]

Campbell, Smith & Co Ltd

  • CB073
  • Corporate body
  • 1873-present

1966: quotation for the interior decoration of Wymondham church. [Although not identified as work done, see accessed 26-5-2019].

Company website: (accessed 26-5-2019)

Catholic Truth Society (CTS)

  • CB105
  • Corporate body
  • 1868-

The Catholic Truth Society, a Catholic Charity (no. 218951), has been publishing since 1868. With its mission to communicate the truths of the Catholic faith, CTS is one of the oldest Catholic organisations existing today.

CH&W Design Limited

  • CB043
  • Corporate body
  • 2016

2016: Heritage Statement for Sawston Hall

Charles Hawkins & Sons

  • CB127
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1980

1981: Property report for Council of Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham

Charles Hawkins, land agent for the Pratts at Ryston, first established an estate agency in Downham Market in 1869. By 1875 he had merged his business with that of an old-established King's Lynn estate agent, Robinson Cruso (Cruso and Son), the new firm, Cruso and Hawkins having offices in both Downham Market and King's Lynn. In 1883 Hawkins established his own estate agency at premises in the Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn. He also retained the office in his home town of Downham Market. By 1904 his son, Launcelot Goulder Hawkins, had joined the office at Downham Market and by 1908 the business was known as Charles Hawkins and Sons. Charles himself died soon afterwards but his sons and in particular Launcelot continued the business. Launcelot became (like his father before him) a local magistrate and also continued to operate as land agent to individual estates. In 1922 the firm were land agents for the estates at Oxborough, Caldecote, Boughton, Hockwold, Feltwell, Bagthorpe, Fincham and Stradsett.

The firm continued to operate in both Downham Market and at the Bank Chambers, Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn throughout the 20th century until it was purchased by the owners of the Black Horse Agencies (retaining the name of Charles Hawkins).

Corbett Woodwork

  • CB176
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

1982: provision of tables and benches for Slipper Chapel centre

Crimmen, James (1840-1922)

  • P654
  • Person
  • 1840-

James Crimmen was born in Marylebone, London c. 1840. At least from 1897, he lived at 65 High Street (The Manor House) Southwold, with his Southwold-born wife, Sarah. He was a Wine and Spirit Dealer, and an employer. He extended his home to provide a Chapel. He named the Chapel St Peter’s Oratory and provided all the furniture, fittings, vestments, and sacred vessels. Fr Alexander Scott, from Lowestoft, celebrated the first Mass in the Oratory in June 1897. Mr Crimmen was anxious to establish a regular Mass, to which end he and his brother William promised £25 a year in support of a Priest.
1899: writing to request a permanent priest at Southwold
1922: died

Eric A Stevenson

  • CB143
  • Corporate body
  • 1973

1973: invoiced for altar furniture

Felbrigg Forge

  • CB283
  • Corporate body
  • 2014

2014[?]: commissioned to repair Urn for SJB RC Cathedral

Fisher & Sons (Fakenham) Ltd

  • CB145
  • Corporate body
  • 1885-2009

20 Jul 1943 - 01 Jul 2009: Fisher & Sons (Fakenham Ltd)
1974: Estimates for work in Walsingham

Frost & Son

  • CB038
  • Corporate body
  • 1935

1935: writing to Canon Squirrel re Lakenham Chapel

Frost and Son was a Lakenham based building business established in the late-1920s. The firm had its offices in Cecil Road and Trafford Road and a joinery works off Hall Road. During the 1930s it built many houses in Lakenham as the former Trafford Estate was developed.

Proprietors were Captain F W Frost and his son A F J Frost. For many years Captain Frost served in the Norfolk Regiment, whilst A F J Frost worked at Boulton & Paul before going into partnership with his father.

Both men had a strong Catholic faith and were married at St John’s Cathedral. Details held by Norfolk County Record Office show that in 1912 Captain Frost attended the 3rd National Catholic Congress which was held in Norwich 2-5 August. In his EDP obituary it was reported that Mr. A F J Frost was a former president of the Norwich Catenian Association and led the first national pilgrimage to Walsingham.

FW Shanks

  • CB262
  • Corporate body
  • 1933

1933: Understood to have build the Church at Hunstanton


  • CB232
  • Corporate body
  • 1890-

1996: Writing to Bishop Smith

"Heinemann is a publisher of professional resources and a provider of educational services established in 1978 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, as a U.S. subsidiary of Heinemann UK. Today, the UK education imprint is owned by Pearson, the UK trade publications are owned by Penguin Random House and the US education imprint is owned by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt."

Heronbrook House

  • CB218
  • Corporate body
  • 1994

From letter head: "International Therapeutic Centre for Clergy and Religious" / "Director: Sister Breda O'Sullivan, PhD, AFBPsC, CPsycol

Results 1 to 20 of 42