Showing 325 results

People / Organisations
Young Jones Hair & Co
CB151 · Corporate body · 1980-?

1980: Involved in conveyancing

Young Jones Hair & Co is a predecessor of Stafford Young Jones which was itself incorporated in Attwaters Jameson Hill in November 2019.

Yarmouth Mercury
CB090 · Corporate body · 1888-

1950: Article about centenary of St Mary's Yarmouth
1950: Incorporates: Gorleston Herald and East Norfolk Advertiser, Yarmouth Advertiser & Gazette, and Yarmouth Independent

CB074 · Corporate body · 2001

2001: Story about Wymondham church.

Part of Archant Ltd : Jacob Henry Tillett, Jeremiah Colman, John Copeman and Thomas Jarrold launched the Norwich-based Norfolk News in 1845. The Colman and Copeman families still retain close involvement in the business.
The Eastern Weekly Press, launched in 1867, was renamed the Eastern Daily Press in 1870 with the Eastern Evening News following in 1882. As the business grew it moved premises in 1902, 1959 and again in the late 1960s to its present headquarters location at Prospect House in the centre of Norwich. About then Eastern Counties Newspapers come together with the East Anglian Daily Times Company to form Eastern Counties Newspapers Group (ECNG). ECNG developed further with the launch of Community Media Limited (CML) in 1981 and in 1985 purchased the East Anglia-based Advertiser group of weekly free newspapers. In 1993 it bought four weekly newspapers in Huntingdon, Ely, Wisbech and March from Thomson. The acquisition of Peterhead-based P Scrogie followed shortly afterwards.
In April 1998, ECNG bought Home Counties Newspapers Holdings plc with an agreed bid of approximately £58m. HCNH published a range of 26 weekly paid and free titles across Greater London and the Home Counties. The title portfolio included the Hampstead & Highgate Express, the South Essex Recorder series, the Herts Advertiser series, the Comet series, the Herald group and the Welwyn & Hatfield Times. Consumer magazine publisher Market Link Publishing, the forerunner of Archant Specialist, was acquired by ECNG for £5m in autumn 1999. Its titles include Photography Monthly, Professional Photographer, Pilot and Sport Diver.
In 2000 the launch of a county magazine in Norfolk saw the beginning of Archant Life. The division had acquisitions and launches in the North West and North East, the Midlands , East, South West, South and South East of England. In March 2002, ECNG changed its name to Archant. In December 2003, Archant purchased 27 weekly newspapers from Independent News and Media in two separate deals worth up to £62m. The titles included the Islington Gazette, the East London Advertiser, the Barking & Dagenham Post and the Kentish Times series.
Archant Ltd developed further in the following years - see https://www.archant.co.uk/articles/about-us-our-history/ (accessed 28-5-2019).

Woodcock & Son
CB101 · Corporate body · 1926

1926: Land at Leiston for sale

Woodchester Priory
CB086 · Corporate body · 1850-1970

The Church at Woodchester was opened in 1849. Originally the Passionists were asked to serve at the church, but they decided to move on in 1850. The Church was then taken over by the Dominicans. The monastery was added in 1853. This was demolished in 1970.
1929: document sent to the Bishop by the Abbot, O'Gorman

Witham, Weld and Co
CB003 · Corporate body · 1935 - 2006

In 1791 two Catholic lawyers set up in business as Barrett and Eyston in Fig Court, one of the capital's lost inns. The Eyston family claimed collateral descent from Thomas More, a lawyer and a saint. In its early days the company allied itself closely with the movement for Catholic emancipation and the members of the Cisalpine club, launched to further the cause of the Church in England by playing down the authority of Rome. The association with the Witham family, some of whom were barristers since the early eighteenth century, came only in the 1830s. By 1900 the firm was operating as Witham, Roskell, Munster and Weld — a collection of names that not surprisingly gave way to the simpler Witham & Co in around 1935. But the Weld name reappeared when not long afterwards the company joined with another firm of Catholic solicitors based in Liverpool, run by the same family. It has been Witham and Weld ever since. In 2006, the firm of Pothecary Witham Weld was created following the merger of Pothecary & Barratt and Witham Weld.

Traditionally Witham Weld's Clients have been the Catholic church, its dioceses and clergy, and top people from the country's Catholic gentry and aristocratic stock.

CB186 · Corporate body · 1963-1996

1993: Quoting for lighting project at Chapel of Reconciliation
12-1-1996: change of name to ABB Steward Limited
13-3-2015: striking off process commenced (suspended 2019)

William Comer Reade
CB100 · Corporate body · 1923-1955

1924: Builder associated with sale of land in Aldeburgh
1954: Associated with proposals for repair/removal of Aldeburgh RC church tower

CB264 · Corporate body · 1974-

WNDC was formed in 1974 by the merger of the Municipal Borough of King's Lynn, Hunstanton UDC and Downham Market UDC, Docking Rural District, Downham Rural District, Freebridge Lynn Rural District and Marshland Rural District. The district adopted its present name, King's Lynn and West Norfolk District Council, in 1981.

CB173 · Corporate body · 1988

1988: permission for pilgrimage and Tridentine Mass

from letter head: "West Mercia Roman / Catholic Mission / (Blessed Virgin Mary and / Saint Chad with Saint Werburgh / Traditional Roman Rite Mass Organization"

Wearing & Hastings
CB088 · Corporate body · 1910-2006

Established in 1910 by Stanley J. Wearing (1881-1960), his first commission being the YMCA in Thetford. His other buildings included St Mary's Baptist Church, the Howlett and White Shoe factory (both in Norwich) and many council houses, the earliest being in 1912 at Thetford. During the Second World War, he was appointed by the National Buildings Record to sketch old buildings in Norwich and Norfolk. He was author of 'Georgian Norwich: Its Builders' and three volumes of 'Beautiful Norfolk Buildings'.
In 1953 Barry Hastings (d 1999), who had worked with Wearing before the war, was taken into partnership. He was joined by Anthony Rossi from 1968 to 1972 and Michael Brooks (d 1983), who became a partner in 1975. In 1984 Terry Norton became a partner, he retired in 2006 and the practice was taken over by Reynolds Jury Architecture as a going concern.
The practice's clients include area health authorities and local authorities in Norfolk; charities including the Great Hospital, Norwich, the Great Yarmouth Municipal Charities and the Norwich Consolidated Charities; ecclesiastical work included work for the Baptist Union, the Roman Catholic dioceses of Northampton and East Anglia and the Anglican diocese of Norwich (including quinquennial inspections); and it also undertook work for housing associations, the Ministry of Defence and many private clients.
The practice initially operated from 3 Upper King Street, than 3 Redwell Street, Norwich until 1957, moving to 5 Cathedral Street, Norwich, until 1965, when it moved to 14 Princes Street: it remained there until 2006.

Wardell Armstrong LLP
CB284 · Corporate body · 2021

2021: deposit of report re St Francis of Assisi Church, Papworth Everard

Ward Gethin & Co
CB149 · Corporate body · 1979

1979: Advice re Capital Transfer Tax

Ward & Woolnough
CB138 · Corporate body · 1928

1928: The Hippodrome Cinema opened in 1928 designed for the Bancroft family by Messrs F.B. Ward & C.E.A. Woolnough
1951 - Hippodrome Cinema, March

W R Bullen Ltd
CB174 · Corporate body · 1887-

1988: Estimate for the provision of a Silver Chalice