Showing 1119 results

People / Organisations
Convent of St Louis
CB080 · Corporate body · 1842-present

A priest, Louis Marie Eugène Bautain in 1842 founded the Institute of St Louis in Juilly, outside Paris. The Institute was approved by Rome in July, 1844, but by 1850, the priests disbanded, leaving the sisters remaining in the order. In 1859, the first Irish foundation was established in Monaghan, and two years later, they separated from France on the orders of their Bishop. For the next few decades, the Irish and French Institutes expanded separately across Ireland and France. In 1903, the first Belgian foundation was established by the French Institute, and in 1912, the first English foundation was established from Ireland. By the end of the second world war, numbers had declined significantly in the French Institute, and in 1952, it amalgamated with the St Louis Institute in Ireland.

The first St Louis missions outside of Europe began in the middle of the 20th century, to Ghana in 1947, Nigeria in 1948, and California in 1949. In 1978, a mission from California was established in Brasil. The most recent mission was established in Benin in 2001 by the Sisters of St Louis in Nigeria.
see https://www.stlouissisters.org/ (accessed 14-5-2019)

Borough of Great Yarmouth
CB082 · Corporate body · 1947-

1947: Education Development Plan
1986: approval for grant applied for by RCDEA Trustees

The borough was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the former County Borough of Great Yarmouth, along with part of Blofield and Flegg Rural District, and also part of the Lothingland Rural District in East Suffolk. The amendment to include five parishes from Lothingland RD in Norfolk was made by Anthony Fell, MP for Yarmouth.

RCDEA Trustee
CB083 · Corporate body · 1997-

Created on 9 June 1997

CB084 · Corporate body · 1814-1997

Original building was as a Mental Asylum, opening in April 1814. During World War 1 it was used as a War Hospital. It became known as the Norfolk Mental Hospital in 1920 and the name was again changed to St. Andrew's Hospital in 1923. After the 1946 National Health Service Act, the hospital moved from the county to central government control and became administered by the East Anglian Region, Group 7 Hospital Management Committee. In 1974 the Norfolk Area Health Authority took over responsibility following the National Health Service Re-organisation Act of 1973.
The main building closed in 1997.

1958: B H Head, Secretary to the management committee (Group 7. East Anglian Regional Hospital Board) wrote to the Bishop about the RC chaplain.

CB085 · Corporate body · 1995

1995: writing to the Bishop on hearing the news of the Augustinian plans to leave St Mary's Yarmouth

Woodchester Priory
CB086 · Corporate body · 1850-1970

The Church at Woodchester was opened in 1849. Originally the Passionists were asked to serve at the church, but they decided to move on in 1850. The Church was then taken over by the Dominicans. The monastery was added in 1853. This was demolished in 1970.
1929: document sent to the Bishop by the Abbot, O'Gorman

Johns, Slater & Haward
CB087 · Corporate body · 1960

1960: Plans drawn for new Secondary School in Gorleston, Great Yarmouth

Wearing & Hastings
CB088 · Corporate body · 1910-2006

Established in 1910 by Stanley J. Wearing (1881-1960), his first commission being the YMCA in Thetford. His other buildings included St Mary's Baptist Church, the Howlett and White Shoe factory (both in Norwich) and many council houses, the earliest being in 1912 at Thetford. During the Second World War, he was appointed by the National Buildings Record to sketch old buildings in Norwich and Norfolk. He was author of 'Georgian Norwich: Its Builders' and three volumes of 'Beautiful Norfolk Buildings'.
In 1953 Barry Hastings (d 1999), who had worked with Wearing before the war, was taken into partnership. He was joined by Anthony Rossi from 1968 to 1972 and Michael Brooks (d 1983), who became a partner in 1975. In 1984 Terry Norton became a partner, he retired in 2006 and the practice was taken over by Reynolds Jury Architecture as a going concern.
The practice's clients include area health authorities and local authorities in Norfolk; charities including the Great Hospital, Norwich, the Great Yarmouth Municipal Charities and the Norwich Consolidated Charities; ecclesiastical work included work for the Baptist Union, the Roman Catholic dioceses of Northampton and East Anglia and the Anglican diocese of Norwich (including quinquennial inspections); and it also undertook work for housing associations, the Ministry of Defence and many private clients.
The practice initially operated from 3 Upper King Street, than 3 Redwell Street, Norwich until 1957, moving to 5 Cathedral Street, Norwich, until 1965, when it moved to 14 Princes Street: it remained there until 2006.

CB089 · Corporate body · 1908-1969

1924: Dispensation for Shanahans, Great Yarmouth

The Sacred Congregation for the Discipline of the Sacraments (Sacra Congregatio de Disciplina Sacramentorum) was replaced, in 1975, by "Sacred Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship" (Congregatio de Sacramentis et Cultu Divino) and incorporated the functions of the Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship (Sacra Congregatio pro Cultu Divino) which had been created in 1969 to take on responsibility for the liturgical affairs previously handled by the Sacred Congregation of Rites (Sacra Rituum Congregatio) (1588–1969).

Between 1984 and 1988 it was briefly redivided into the Congregation for the Sacraments (Congregatio de Sacramentis) and the Congregation for Divine Worship (Congregatio de Cultu Divino) under a single Prefect.

Yarmouth Mercury
CB090 · Corporate body · 1888-

1950: Article about centenary of St Mary's Yarmouth
1950: Incorporates: Gorleston Herald and East Norfolk Advertiser, Yarmouth Advertiser & Gazette, and Yarmouth Independent

Oblates of St Benedict
CB091 · Corporate body · 1921-1925

As at 1925:
A secular group "Oblates of St Benedict" under the spiritual direction of Right Rev. Abbot Egan of Ramsgate with the approval of The Bishop of Southwark, Bishop Amigo. 5 Choir-Sisters & 1 Lay-Sister. Aim: The conversion of England by work among girls through education, catechism classes, instruction of converts, retreats. Based at the Convent of Our Lady of Peace in Strood, Kent. Took over from the Sisters of St Cretienne, who had been recalled to France, on 19 September 1921. There are 102 day pupils and some female guests.
Sr Scholastica (Prefect of Discipline) and another (Surveillant) were professed religious of the Sisters of St Mary of Namur (founded in 1819 by a Benedictine), they left on 9 July 1921 and were invited by Bishop Brown, and guided by Mgr. Jackman, to take on the school.

CB094 · Corporate body · 1835-

1835: founded
1964: arrangements re return of damaged crib figure
1969: Staff redundant and stores sold off as company is sold to Daughters of St. Paul [Catholic Herald article]

CB095 · Corporate body · 1966

1966: Stanley Smith, GSB Warden, writing to Aldeburgh

The Guild of the Blessed Sacrament (GBS) is an organisation within the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament dedicated to promoting greater reverence to Christ in the Eucharist within the liturgy. This would have included the use of confession (Sacrament of Reconciliation) and fasting before taking Holy Communion. Members of the GBS also provide the church with practical assistance such as the role of stewards during processions and events, fund collecting and certain charity works within their parish. The GBS has a male-only membership open to both Catholics and Anglo-Catholics (Anglican Church).

The Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament (CBS) is a devotional society within the Anglican Church dedicated to venerating the ‘Real Presence’ of Christ in the Eucharist. The CBS was founded in 1862 by Thomas Thellusson Carter (1808-1901) to work for a greater devotion to Jesus Christ in the Eucharist by means of words, prayer and teachings. The CBS also strived to promote the Mass as the weekly main service and hold regular confession (Sacrament of Reconciliation), especially the form of private confession practised by Anglo-Catholics.

The origins of the CBS lay in the Tractarian Movement which gained momentum from the early 1830’s under the leadership of John Henry Newman. The Tractarians (Oxford Movement) were a group of influential clergymen based around Oxford University who reacted against secularisation within the Church of England and also wished to see the Eucharist play a more central role in the Anglican liturgy. They were greatly influenced by the liturgy of the Catholic Church and the Tractarian’s influence gave rise to the Catholic Revival, within the Anglican Church. The Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829 was also a driving force in the formation of the Movement as it had lifted many restrictions on Catholics to openly express their religion as well as allowing Catholics to enter Parliament. A longer-term aim of the Tractarians was to bridge theological differences between Catholicism and Anglicanism, perhaps uniting the two in the future.

The CBS movement was also a driving influence in the formation of the Anglican Religious Orders throughout Britain and America. Members of these orders comprised laity and clergy who lived according to the traditional monastic vows of chastity, poverty and obedience. After the religious orders were dissolved by Henry VIII’s Act of Supremacy in 1534 leading to the establishment of the Church of England, there had been no Anglican religious orders since and interest in them was rekindled with the rise of the Catholic Revival and Oxford Movement from the around the mid-19th century.

Bertram R Yorke
CB097 · Corporate body · 1920

1920: conveyancing for Aldeburgh & Leiston

Arthur Young / Allan D Reid
CB098 · Corporate body · 1921

1921: Aldeburgh Church design

Arthur Young (1853 – 22 December 1924), Architect, particularly of Catholic churches. He was born in 1853 at Stamford, Lincolnshire, the second son of Charles Edward Young, and was educated there at Stamford Grammar School.

Jackaman & Sons
CB099 · Corporate body · 1923

1923: sale of Aldeburgh Presbytery to Diocese/Bishop