Showing 1119 results

People / Organisations
Young Jones Hair & Co
CB151 · Corporate body · 1980-?

1980: Involved in conveyancing

Young Jones Hair & Co is a predecessor of Stafford Young Jones which was itself incorporated in Attwaters Jameson Hill in November 2019.

P098 · Person · 14-12-1873 (born) - 14-11-1939 (died)

Born in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire 14 December 1873
Ordained 30 June 1901.
Bishop of the Diocese of Northampton appointment on 16 June 1933. Consecration to the Episcopateon 25 July 1933. The principal consecrator was Thomas Williams, Archbishop of Birmingham, and the principal co-consecrators were John McNulty, Bishop of Nottingham, and Joseph Butt, Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster.

He died in office on 14 November 1939, aged 65, and was buried at Belmont Abbey, Herefordshire.

Yarmouth Mercury
CB090 · Corporate body · 1888-

1950: Article about centenary of St Mary's Yarmouth
1950: Incorporates: Gorleston Herald and East Norfolk Advertiser, Yarmouth Advertiser & Gazette, and Yarmouth Independent

P363 · Person · 1937-2018

An investigative reporter who had written a book about a perceived Vatican Conspiracy, "In God's Name: An Investigation Into the Murder of Pope John Paul I" in 1984. This suggested that Pope John Paul I, found dead in his chambers a month after becoming pope, had been poisoned by secretive Masons who had infiltrated the Vatican and the Vatican Bank. Reviewers, and the Church, dismissed the book as groundless.
Wikipedia entry: (accessed 22-10-2019)
Obituary, The New York Times: (accessed 22-10-2019)

P740 · Person · 1927-2012

Known as "Fr Peter" as his parishioners could not pronounce his Dutch name.

1927: 15 November, born, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands
1969: ordained
1971/72: Our Lady Help of Christians, Luton
1972/74: St Gregory the Great, Northampton
1974-1978: Assistant priest at Leighton Buzzard
-1982: PP at Whittlesey
1982-: PP at Cambridge
1991: 30 September, appt. KON (Knight in the Order of Orange-Nassau) (Dutch: "Ridder in de Orde van Oranje-Nassau")
1987-2001: PP at Woodbridge
2012: died (buried at sea)

CB074 · Corporate body · 2001

2001: Story about Wymondham church.

Part of Archant Ltd : Jacob Henry Tillett, Jeremiah Colman, John Copeman and Thomas Jarrold launched the Norwich-based Norfolk News in 1845. The Colman and Copeman families still retain close involvement in the business.
The Eastern Weekly Press, launched in 1867, was renamed the Eastern Daily Press in 1870 with the Eastern Evening News following in 1882. As the business grew it moved premises in 1902, 1959 and again in the late 1960s to its present headquarters location at Prospect House in the centre of Norwich. About then Eastern Counties Newspapers come together with the East Anglian Daily Times Company to form Eastern Counties Newspapers Group (ECNG). ECNG developed further with the launch of Community Media Limited (CML) in 1981 and in 1985 purchased the East Anglia-based Advertiser group of weekly free newspapers. In 1993 it bought four weekly newspapers in Huntingdon, Ely, Wisbech and March from Thomson. The acquisition of Peterhead-based P Scrogie followed shortly afterwards.
In April 1998, ECNG bought Home Counties Newspapers Holdings plc with an agreed bid of approximately £58m. HCNH published a range of 26 weekly paid and free titles across Greater London and the Home Counties. The title portfolio included the Hampstead & Highgate Express, the South Essex Recorder series, the Herts Advertiser series, the Comet series, the Herald group and the Welwyn & Hatfield Times. Consumer magazine publisher Market Link Publishing, the forerunner of Archant Specialist, was acquired by ECNG for £5m in autumn 1999. Its titles include Photography Monthly, Professional Photographer, Pilot and Sport Diver.
In 2000 the launch of a county magazine in Norfolk saw the beginning of Archant Life. The division had acquisitions and launches in the North West and North East, the Midlands , East, South West, South and South East of England. In March 2002, ECNG changed its name to Archant. In December 2003, Archant purchased 27 weekly newspapers from Independent News and Media in two separate deals worth up to £62m. The titles included the Islington Gazette, the East London Advertiser, the Barking & Dagenham Post and the Kentish Times series.
Archant Ltd developed further in the following years - see (accessed 28-5-2019).

Wright, Timothy Rev
P269 · Person · 1986

1986: mentioned by Fr Brown in Wymondham to Bishop

Wright, John H Rev SJ
P321 · Person · 1923

1923: writing to Bishop re faculties for Fr Pace

P729 · Person · 1851-1900

1851: born
1883?: ordained
1885-1887: PP in Bedford
1887-[?] PP at King’s Lynn
1900: died

"George Wrigglesworth was born in Hull on St George's Day 1851, the son of John and Jane Wrigglesworth, both of whom had been received into the Church shortly before his birth. Thought to be in some danger, George was baptised on the day of his birth in the Church of St Charles, Hull. After his primary education, he was apprenticed to a Catholic chemist at Barton on Humber, where for many years he served in the sanctuary of the little chapel there. At the age of sixteen he wrote a pamphlet entitled "Proofs of the Real Presence drawn from the Protestant Bible" for the instruction of his non-Catholic friends. After completing his apprenticeship and passing the examinations of the Pharmaceutical Society he started to study for the medical profession. At the age of 23, however, he decided to abandon his medical studies and to study for the priesthood. In 1874 he went to St Edmund's College, Douay and then, in 1877, to the English College in Rome. Ordained priest at the Basilica of St John Lateran by Cardinal Monaco on 19 May 1883 he returned to England. His first appointment was the Church of the Holy Apostles in Norwich as assistant to a Father Fitzgerald. From, there he went to his first independent Mission at Wolverton, Bucks in 1884. He was moved again in 1885 to Bedford and, finally, in November 1887 he was appointed to King's Lynn in succession to Father Macdonald." text from PA28-07-04-18.

Woodhead, Eric Rev (-2010)
P323 · Person · 2000

June 2000: identified as being in a photograph taken in SJB
?: retired at Poringland
2010: died

Woodcock & Son
CB101 · Corporate body · 1926

1926: Land at Leiston for sale

Woodchester Priory
CB086 · Corporate body · 1850-1970

The Church at Woodchester was opened in 1849. Originally the Passionists were asked to serve at the church, but they decided to move on in 1850. The Church was then taken over by the Dominicans. The monastery was added in 1853. This was demolished in 1970.
1929: document sent to the Bishop by the Abbot, O'Gorman

Woodbury, Theodor C
P089 · Person · 1920-

Brother to Mary Octavia Ten Broeck (nee Woodbury)

P295 · Person · 1982

Bishop Wood was a Royal Navy commando chaplain in World War II and later the Bishop of Norwich. He was educated at Monkton Combe School, Bath, Queens' College, Cambridge and Ridley Hall, Cambridge. He married twice - three children, Andrew, Patrick and Charity with his first wife, Marjorie and three children, John, Jane and Daniel, with his second wife, Margaret.

During World War II, Wood landed with his Royal Marine unit on the Normandy beaches on D-Day. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. He was a chaplain of No. 48 (Royal Marines) Commando. After the war, Wood worked in the parishes of St Ebbe's, Oxford (1947–1952) and St Mary's, Islington (1952–1961). He became Principal of Oak Hill Theological College in Southgate, London. In 1971 was appointed the 69th Bishop of Norwich, serving in this post for 14 years before retiring in 1985.
(summary from, accessed 3-7-2019)

P254 · Person · 1916-2007

The Right Reverend Maurice Wood was Bishop of Norwich from 1971 to 1985. He was educated at Monkton Combe School and Queens' College, Cambridge, where he read History. He prepared for ordination at Ridley Hall, Cambridge, and from 1940 to 1943 was a curate at St Paul's, Portman Square, in London. In 1943 Wood joined the Royal Navy trained as a commando chaplain. He landed with a RN beach commando on D-Day, with responsibility for the care and evacuation of the wounded. He left the Navy in 1947. In 1969 Wood he became a prebendary of St Paul's Cathedral before being nominated for Norwich.
He joined the Archbishops' Council on Evangelism and a host of other organisations, including the Order of Christian Unity, the Boys' Brigade, the RSPCA and the Norfolk Water Safety Association. He was an honorary assistant bishop in London (1985-2002). He wrote a number of religious books, including Like a Mighty Army (1956); Comfort in Sorrow (1957); Your Suffering (1959); Christian Stability (1968); and Into the Way of Peace (1982).

Witham, Weld and Co
CB003 · Corporate body · 1935 - 2006

In 1791 two Catholic lawyers set up in business as Barrett and Eyston in Fig Court, one of the capital's lost inns. The Eyston family claimed collateral descent from Thomas More, a lawyer and a saint. In its early days the company allied itself closely with the movement for Catholic emancipation and the members of the Cisalpine club, launched to further the cause of the Church in England by playing down the authority of Rome. The association with the Witham family, some of whom were barristers since the early eighteenth century, came only in the 1830s. By 1900 the firm was operating as Witham, Roskell, Munster and Weld — a collection of names that not surprisingly gave way to the simpler Witham & Co in around 1935. But the Weld name reappeared when not long afterwards the company joined with another firm of Catholic solicitors based in Liverpool, run by the same family. It has been Witham and Weld ever since. In 2006, the firm of Pothecary Witham Weld was created following the merger of Pothecary & Barratt and Witham Weld.

Traditionally Witham Weld's Clients have been the Catholic church, its dioceses and clergy, and top people from the country's Catholic gentry and aristocratic stock.