Showing 23 results

People / Organisations
Arthur Young / Allan D Reid
CB098 · Corporate body · 1921

1921: Aldeburgh Church design

Arthur Young (1853 – 22 December 1924), Architect, particularly of Catholic churches. He was born in 1853 at Stamford, Lincolnshire, the second son of Charles Edward Young, and was educated there at Stamford Grammar School.

Basil and David Hatcher
CB211 · Corporate body · 1989

1989: Architect for Meryemana Foundation project at St Nicholas Church, Ipswich

Bertram R Yorke
CB097 · Corporate body · 1920

1920: conveyancing for Aldeburgh & Leiston

CB094 · Corporate body · 1835-

1835: founded
1964: arrangements re return of damaged crib figure
1969: Staff redundant and stores sold off as company is sold to Daughters of St. Paul [Catholic Herald article]

CB269 · Corporate body · 1974

1919: Born
1974: Proposal about wall at Halesworth
2003: Died

"... he was blown up in a tank during the war, I think in North Africa, and thereafter lived and worked in a wheelchair." "Russell went on to qualify and practise as an architect and, among his many assignments was the conversion of a number of Adnams pubs, including the Anchor at Walberswick" webpage Southwold Art Circle

Cross Ram & Co (1810-)
CB270 · Corporate body · 1810-

1974: Writing to Bishop's Office

The firm claims to one of the oldest in the country. Its name is derived from the partnership of Frederick Cross and Willett Ram at the end of the 19th Century – but the records of the Mary Warner Charity (which continues to this day) show that its legal precursor was established in Halesworth before 1738. The firm is believed to have existed on the same site throughout although the handsome purpose-built building at 18 The Thoroughfare was constructed in 1810 by Peter Jermyn.

HT Argent & Son (-2015)
CB102 · Corporate body · 1963

1963: Writing about buying a house in Aldeburgh

Ipswich Borough Council
CB207 · Corporate body · 1974-

Ipswich was a county borough from 1889 to 1974. Ipswich Borough Council was founded in 1974. The borough is covered by two parliamentary constituencies: Ipswich, which covers about 75% and Central Suffolk & North Ipswich, which covers the remaining 25%.

CB208 · Corporate body · 1981-

1981: Ipswich Historic Churches Trust was set up by the Ipswich Borough Council to care for five medieval town centre churches.

1988: commenced dialogue with Meryemana Foundation regarding St Nicholas Church

Jackaman & Sons
CB099 · Corporate body · 1923

1923: sale of Aldeburgh Presbytery to Diocese/Bishop

Johns, Slater & Haward
CB087 · Corporate body · 1960

1960: Plans drawn for new Secondary School in Gorleston, Great Yarmouth

Noel Cooper & Williamson
CB108 · Corporate body · 1962

1962: enquiring about land at Leiston Church site

CB293 · Corporate body · 1233-

1929/1930: S M Scolastica OSM (Mother General) correspondence on opening a convent in King's Lynn
1952: Sr M Margarita, Headmistress St Mary's School, King's Lynn
1969: Servite Convent closed

Sisters of Mercy
CB116 · Corporate body · 1927

The Congregation of Our Lady of Mercy began in Dublin on 12th December 1831 by Catherine McAuley and two companions Mary Anne Doyle and Elizabeth Harley. The Weymouth Community had its foundational roots in Aldeburgh, Suffolk under Sister Mary Francis Boulger from Abingdon.

CB268 · Corporate body · -1974

The town lost its independent Municipal Borough status in the Local Government reforms of 1974 and was incorporated into Waveney District. Southwold was then part of the Southwold and Reydon electoral ward until 1 April 2019. Then the Waveney and Suffolk Coastal districts were the amalgamated into a new East Suffolk district and Southwold became an expanded ward with Reydon and Walberswick.

Strutt & Parker
CB103 · Corporate body · 1963

1963: Valuation of a house in Aldeburgh