Showing 325 results

People / Organisations
Convent of St Louis
CB080 · Corporate body · 1842-present

A priest, Louis Marie Eugène Bautain in 1842 founded the Institute of St Louis in Juilly, outside Paris. The Institute was approved by Rome in July, 1844, but by 1850, the priests disbanded, leaving the sisters remaining in the order. In 1859, the first Irish foundation was established in Monaghan, and two years later, they separated from France on the orders of their Bishop. For the next few decades, the Irish and French Institutes expanded separately across Ireland and France. In 1903, the first Belgian foundation was established by the French Institute, and in 1912, the first English foundation was established from Ireland. By the end of the second world war, numbers had declined significantly in the French Institute, and in 1952, it amalgamated with the St Louis Institute in Ireland.

The first St Louis missions outside of Europe began in the middle of the 20th century, to Ghana in 1947, Nigeria in 1948, and California in 1949. In 1978, a mission from California was established in Brasil. The most recent mission was established in Benin in 2001 by the Sisters of St Louis in Nigeria.
see https://www.stlouissisters.org/ (accessed 14-5-2019)

CB216 · Corporate body · 1896-1991

Cardinal Vaughan set up The Converts Aid Society on 16th October 1896 with the objectives:

  1. To welcome with kindness and attention those who have embraced the truth at all costs.
    2.To find Catholic acquaintances and friends for those who have forfeited former friendships for Christ’s sake.
    3.To assist clergymen, especially married clergymen with families, whose conversion has reduced them to need.
    The appointment of a full-time Secretary in 1922, F.W. (Freddie) Chambers, a former Anglican clergyman, held the position for forty five years until his death in 1967. Then, for a further nineteen years, his work was continued by his wife, Pat. During their time the scope of the Society’s work was enlarged to include former Anglican Religious and convert clergy from other churches. Monsignor Ronald Knox served on the Committee and G.K. Chesterton and Hilaire Belloc were numbered among its patrons. Support was eventually extended to convert clergy seminarians. This contribution to the training of new priests remains part of the Society’s work to the present day.
    The constitution of The Converts Aid Society remained almost unchanged from 1896 to 1991. Many changes in charity legislation made it necessary to devise a new constitution. It was important to retain the identity of The Converts Aid Society, not least so that it could continue to receive legacies which were left to it, but the decision was made to also create a new charitable company with identical aims and objects. This would take up and continue the charitable work and responsibilities of The Converts Aid Society but in compliance with modern charity legislation. So it was that The St Barnabas Society began its work on 1st June 1992.
Corbett Woodwork
CB176 · Corporate body · 1964-

1982: provision of tables and benches for Slipper Chapel centre

Coulton and Son (1842?-1938)
CB302 · Corporate body · 1842?-1938

Coulton (JJ) and Son (Richard C), was acquired by Kenneth F.M. Bush in 1938

Cromer Electrical Ltd
CB185 · Corporate body · 1977-

1993: Quoting for lighting project at Chapel of Reconciliation

Cross Ram & Co (1810-)
CB270 · Corporate body · 1810-

1974: Writing to Bishop's Office

The firm claims to one of the oldest in the country. Its name is derived from the partnership of Frederick Cross and Willett Ram at the end of the 19th Century – but the records of the Mary Warner Charity (which continues to this day) show that its legal precursor was established in Halesworth before 1738. The firm is believed to have existed on the same site throughout although the handsome purpose-built building at 18 The Thoroughfare was constructed in 1810 by Peter Jermyn.

Cruso & Wilkin (~1756-)
CB303 · Corporate body · ~1756-

Cruso & Wilkin started in business some time before 1756. A succession of Crusos based primarily in Norwich and King’s Lynn from 1614 until 1885 when the family line ended.
The firm primarily practised in the early years as auctioneers and were active during King’s Lynn’s heyday auctioning port wine imported through the Docks. Cruso & Wilkin are Norfolk’s oldest firm of auctioneers, partner in King’s Lynn Livestock Market and through their current conduct of farm machinery, property auctions and auction centre.

Some years before 1885, HM Wilkin joined in partnership and the firm became "Cruso & Wilkin". Mr Wilkin died in 1910 and was succeeded by his son, the Captain HWM Wilkin who died at a relatively early age of 53 years. He was subsequently followed by his sons Horace Wilkin and Thomas Wilkin who continued to practise until 1987.

Davis, Belfield and Everest
CB129 · Corporate body · 1979

1979: estimates for programme of work at Slipper Chapel, Walsingham
In 1931 Owen Davis and fellow Quantiity Surveyor John Belfield joined forces to create Davis & Belfield. In 1944 Bobbie Everest joined and the practice became Davis, Belfield & Everest. Everest was a descendent of George Everest, the mid nineteenth century Surveyor General of India and the first man to measure the height of Mount Everest , which was named after him. Langdon & Every merged with Davis Belfield & Everest in 1988 to become Davis Langdon & Everest and in 2004 Davis Langdon & Everest become Davis Langdon LLP

Downside Abbey
CB190 · Corporate body · 1886

1886: OSB Provincial corresponding with Bishop Riddell
1970: Donation to Walsingham Appeal

CB277 · Corporate body · 1725-2010

Founded in 1725 by brothers Samuel Driver (1692-1741) and Charles Driver (1699-), bakers and nurserymen and landowners. In January 2010, Drivers Jonas LLP merged with Deloitte LLP to become Drivers Jonas Deloitte. In 2013 the business was rebranded as Deloitte Real Estate.

Dunlop Heywood
CB160 · Corporate body · 1832-

1832: origin
1991: Information about land in Walsingham
2002: established