Showing 29 results

People / Organisations
P657 · Person · 1868-1948

Father Benedict (born William Edward Williamson) in Hackney on June 6th 1868. He studied law and then trained as an architect in the office of Newman & Jacques in Stratford. He was received into the Catholic Church in 1896 at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Farm Street, Mayfair where he took the name Benedict Williamson. For ten years he practised as an architect, working on Farnborough Abbey and St Ignatius Church at Tottenham.
In 1906 he entered Beda College in Rome where he studied for the priesthood, being ordained in 1909. He tried and failed to establish a male branch of the Brigettine Order.
In the First World War he became an RC chaplain on the Western Front with 47th Division from May 1917 and arrived in France in time for the Battle of Messines, posted to a Casualty Clearing Station. He was known, in the 47th Division, by the nickname of “Happy Days” on account of his unquenchable optimism. He was transferred to the 49th Division , 1/5th Duke of Wellington's Regiment, with which he served until after the Armistice. He returned to Southwark diocese, still designing churches. He moved to Rome and continued his association with the Brigettines; wrote a number of books with a religious and spiritual theme. He was an early admirer of Mussolini, remaining in Rome during the war and was involved in Monsignor O'Flaherty's Vatican based help line for allied PoWs and the hiding of the Jews.
He died in Rome in 1948.

Wearing & Hastings
CB088 · Corporate body · 1910-2006

Established in 1910 by Stanley J. Wearing (1881-1960), his first commission being the YMCA in Thetford. His other buildings included St Mary's Baptist Church, the Howlett and White Shoe factory (both in Norwich) and many council houses, the earliest being in 1912 at Thetford. During the Second World War, he was appointed by the National Buildings Record to sketch old buildings in Norwich and Norfolk. He was author of 'Georgian Norwich: Its Builders' and three volumes of 'Beautiful Norfolk Buildings'.
In 1953 Barry Hastings (d 1999), who had worked with Wearing before the war, was taken into partnership. He was joined by Anthony Rossi from 1968 to 1972 and Michael Brooks (d 1983), who became a partner in 1975. In 1984 Terry Norton became a partner, he retired in 2006 and the practice was taken over by Reynolds Jury Architecture as a going concern.
The practice's clients include area health authorities and local authorities in Norfolk; charities including the Great Hospital, Norwich, the Great Yarmouth Municipal Charities and the Norwich Consolidated Charities; ecclesiastical work included work for the Baptist Union, the Roman Catholic dioceses of Northampton and East Anglia and the Anglican diocese of Norwich (including quinquennial inspections); and it also undertook work for housing associations, the Ministry of Defence and many private clients.
The practice initially operated from 3 Upper King Street, than 3 Redwell Street, Norwich until 1957, moving to 5 Cathedral Street, Norwich, until 1965, when it moved to 14 Princes Street: it remained there until 2006.

Ward & Woolnough
CB138 · Corporate body · 1928

1928: The Hippodrome Cinema opened in 1928 designed for the Bancroft family by Messrs F.B. Ward & C.E.A. Woolnough
1951 - Hippodrome Cinema, March

CB144 · Corporate body · 1968-

1968: Founded
1974: Advising Fr Moorcraft regarding Fire Prevention Officer's closure order

Purcell & Johnson
CB071 · Corporate body · 1947-present

1951-1952: Architects overseeing the build of Wymondham Church

Portess & Richardson
CB051 · Corporate body · 1938 -

Established 1938; trading in 2019; Chartered Architects & Surveyors

Page & Tuthill
CB175 · Corporate body · 1948

1948: Architects for work on Slipper Chapel

CB293 · Person · 1955-1964

1950s+: Architect to the Education Committee of Norfolk County Council

1955: design for a new school in Field Land, King's Lynn
1959: design for Attleborough library
1964: died [mentioned as the "late G W Oak"]

CB156 · Corporate body · 1982-2018

1982: plans for building work in Walsingham
2018: dissolved and reformed as Claxton Hall Architectural

Marshall Sisson, Architect
CB057 · Corporate body · 1917-present

1977: Drew up plans for St Ives Church extension
1988: Drew up plans for St Cecilia & presbytery, Dersingham

CB291 · Corporate body · 1959[?]-2019[?]

Mr Desmond Waite MRVO was born in Andover, Hampshire. Mr Waite qualified as an architect in Portsmouth and moved to Lynn in 1959 to work for Harold Marsh architects. He took the business on as “Marsh and Waite”. In later years he went to work for his son Richard CF Waite.

1970s - overseeing work on St Martha's School, King's Lynn

LSI Architects LLP
CB292 · Corporate body · 2014-

2015: Advising on Traffic management measures near St Martha's School. King's Lynn

P227 · Person · 1978 -

1978: involved in architectural design and works supervision for Sacred Heart Church, St Ives.
1995: Chairman of Historic Churches Committee for RCDEA
1999: involved in proposed Church Hall at St Ives

Julian Limentani, BSc, BArch, RIBA, FRSA, is a Graduate of Bath University. He started his architectural career with Marshall Sisson Architects of Huntingdon in 1973 and has been a Partner in the firm since 1979. He has been the Cathedral Architect of Peterborough Cathedral since 1989, where he is also an Honorary Lay Canon. Among his other appointments, he is Chairman of the Rochester Cathedral Fabric Advisory Committee and Chairman of the Cathedral Architects Association. He is a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Masons.

JW Stallebrass
CB016 · Corporate body · 1923-

James William Stallebrass practised with father John Garner Stallebrass (1886-1921) and brother, Arthur.

Johns, Slater & Haward
CB087 · Corporate body · 1960

1960: Plans drawn for new Secondary School in Gorleston, Great Yarmouth

CB148 · Corporate body · 1979

1979: exchanges over drain easement
later part of Purcell, Tritton and Miller