Showing 63 results

People / Organisations
Ampleforth Abbey
CB223 · Corporate body · 1802-

In 1792 the monks were expelled from France during the French Revolution. About the same time, Fr Anselm Bolton was resident in a lodge at Ampleforth. He had been Chaplain to Lady Anne Fairfax at Gilling Castle, just two miles away (formerly the site of the Preparatory School). She had built Ampleforth Lodge for him just before she died, but in 1802 Fr Anselm handed the house over to his brethren to be their new monastery. In the following year (1803) the new monastery school was opened.
​In 1900 the major monastic houses became independent Abbeys with their own elected Abbot. At this time Ampleforth was a community of just under 100 monks and the first Abbot of Ampleforth was Fr Oswald Smith, who continued in office until his death in 1924. He was succeeded as Abbot by Fr Edmund Matthews, who appointed Fr Paul Nevill as Headmaster of the school.
At its height in the mid-1960s there were 169 monks in the community. The community is now a third of that. The monks continue to work in the schools, on parishes, and in the hospitality apostolate, offering retreats and courses to the thousands of visitors who come to Ampleforth each year.

CB191 · Corporate body · 1911-

1971: Donation for Walsingham Appeal

  1. Vicariate Apostolic of the Midlands District in 1688 and grew very slowly until large growth during the industrial revolution.
  2. Vicariate Apostolic of Central District and a new vicariate created out of the eastern district.
  3. The Diocese of Birmingham under the Archdiocese of Westminster
    28 October 1911. The Archdiocese of Birmingham
CB239 · Corporate body · 1967-

The Anglican–Roman Catholic International Commission was established by Archbishop of Canterbury Michael Ramsey and Pope Paul VI in 1967. Its terms of reference were established by the Malta Report in the following year. ARCIC has completed two phases two phases – 1970–1981, and 1983–2005, and is now in its third. It was created to seek ecumenical progress between the Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion. The sponsors are the Anglican Consultative Council and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity (formerly the Secretariat for Promoting Christian Unity).

First phase: 1970–81 - A Final Reportfor "ARCIC I" was issued in 1981 dealing with three topics: The Eucharist, Ministry and Authority.
Second phase: 1983–2011 - covered a more diverse range of topics including: Salvation and the Church, 1986; The Church as Communion, 1991; Life in Christ: Morals, Communion and the Church, 1993; The Gift of Authority, 1999, and culminating in the publication of Mary: Grace and Hope in Christ in 2005.
Third phase: 2011– present - A preparatory commission for a third phase of ARCIC met in London in October 2007. ARCIC III met for the first time in Bose, Italy, in 2011, in 2012 in Hong Kong, 2013 Rio de Janeiro and in Kwa-Zulu Natal in 2014, Villa Palazzola, Italy in 2015, Toronto, Canada in 2016, Erfurt, Germany in 2017, Assisi, Italy in 2018, Jerusalem in 2019, and online in 2020.

CB061 · Corporate body · 1848

1930: mentioned in letters from & to Bishop Cary-Elwes 1. Based in Manchester; 2 based in Horseferry, London.

In 1843 Anna Mlle de Meeus, then twenty years of age, visited the sacristies of the churches and noted the miserable state of the vestments and altar cloths. The Association of Perpetual Adoration and Work for Poor Churches was organised under the direction of Rev. Jean Baptiste Boone, S.J. The constitutions were approved by Pius IX (March 1872). By their principal work, the association, they strive to increase love for the Blessed Sacrament, by hours of adoration, grants of vestments to poor churches, the Forty Hours Devotion, etc. The association spread throughout the world (in America it is frequently called "Tabernacle Society"). In 1853 it was erected an arch-association with power to affiliate others. The decree of Leo XIII transferring it to Rome (February 1879) declares: "The arch-association is one with the institute in name and in its object, it is subordinate to the institute as to its head, and must be subordinate to it in virtue of the constitutions approved by the Holy See". The arch-association was raised to the rank of prima primaria, July 1895. In August 1880, it was introduced into England by Cardinal Herbert Vaughan, then Bishop of Manchester. Its first foundation in America was at Washington, D. C., October1900.

Beda College
CB222 · Corporate body · 1852-

In 1852, Pope Pius IX approved a new College – first known as Collegio Ecclesiastico and later as Collegio Pio. Beda become the world’s best-known College for “late vocations” – training men who had already followed widely differing careers. As a result of the interest taken by Pope Leo XIII, a new constitution was issued in 1898. The Pope decided that the College should be placed under the patronage of the Venerable Bede, the eighth-century author of Ecclesiastical History of the English People, to whom the Pope had a personal devotion. In the following year he was to raise St Bede to the dignity of Doctor of the Church and the name “Pontificio Collegio Beda” originates from this time.

CB309 · Corporate body · 1446-

The Canons Regular of the Lateran (CRL), formally titled the Canons Regular of St. Augustine of the Congregation of the Most Holy Savior at the Lateran, is an international congregation of an order of canons regular, comprising priests and lay brothers in the Catholic Church. They received their present name from Pope Eugene IV in 1446.

CB235 · Corporate body · 1984-

The Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales (Cynhadledd Esgobion Catholig Cymru a Lloegr) is a permanent assembly of Catholic Bishops in the two countries.
Following the acceptance of the 'The House of the Living God" report in Low Week 1983, the first General Secretary attended his first plenary in Low Week 1984. The period in between saw the practical set up on the Secretariat.'

Catholic Education Service
CB233 · Corporate body · 1847-

1847: Catholic Poor School Committee
1905: Catholic Education Council established as the overarching organisation to promote Catholic Education in England and Wales on behalf of the Catholic Bishops (this later became the Catholic Education Service)
??: Catholic Education Service is an agency of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales (CBCEW)

Colegio De Ingleses
CB224 · Corporate body · 1589-

The Royal English College of Valladolid is a residence and training centre located in Valladolid, Spain, for the training of Catholic priests for the English and Welsh Mission. It is under the patronage of St Alban. It was founded with the permission of King Philip II of Spain by the English priest Robert Persons in 1589, during the English Reformation.

Congregation for the Clergy
CB059 · Corporate body · 1564-

1996: Writing to Bishop Smith

The Congregation for the Clergy (Latin: Congregatio pro Clericis; formerly the Sacred Congregation for the Clergy and Sacred Congregation of the Council) is the congregation of the Roman Curia responsible for overseeing matters regarding priests and deacons not belonging to religious orders. The Congregation for the Clergy handles requests for dispensation from active priestly ministry, as well as the legislation governing presbyteral councils and other organisations of priests around the world.

Convent of St Louis
CB080 · Corporate body · 1842-present

A priest, Louis Marie Eugène Bautain in 1842 founded the Institute of St Louis in Juilly, outside Paris. The Institute was approved by Rome in July, 1844, but by 1850, the priests disbanded, leaving the sisters remaining in the order. In 1859, the first Irish foundation was established in Monaghan, and two years later, they separated from France on the orders of their Bishop. For the next few decades, the Irish and French Institutes expanded separately across Ireland and France. In 1903, the first Belgian foundation was established by the French Institute, and in 1912, the first English foundation was established from Ireland. By the end of the second world war, numbers had declined significantly in the French Institute, and in 1952, it amalgamated with the St Louis Institute in Ireland.

The first St Louis missions outside of Europe began in the middle of the 20th century, to Ghana in 1947, Nigeria in 1948, and California in 1949. In 1978, a mission from California was established in Brasil. The most recent mission was established in Benin in 2001 by the Sisters of St Louis in Nigeria.
see https://www.stlouissisters.org/ (accessed 14-5-2019)

Downside Abbey
CB190 · Corporate body · 1886

1886: OSB Provincial corresponding with Bishop Riddell
1970: Donation to Walsingham Appeal

Ecumenical Society BVM
CB217 · Corporate body · 1967-

Founded in 1967, when a group of friends of several Christian traditions met to discuss ways of ensuring that this vital element in religious experience should be given an adequate place in current dialogue. Martin Gillett, a Roman Catholic layman, dedicated the remaining years of his life to promoting an ecumenical understanding of Mary's place in the life of the Church. The Society prospered and attracted membership and support from Church leaders, scholars and pastors, lay theologians, and Christian people from all walks of life.

CB240 · Corporate body · 1917-

The Federation of Catholic Priests was founded in 1917 to foster priestly vocation within the Church of England. Today it continues to seek to encourage mutual support in propagating, maintaining and defending Catholic doctrine and practice within a traditional understanding of priesthood. Members of the Federation accept the Catholic and Apostolic Faith of the Church as Anglicans have received it – a faith expressed in the Scriptures, Creeds, Sacraments and Ministry. They commend that faith to others by teaching and example. They commit themselves to a rule of priestly life.