Showing 775 results

People / Organisations
Alies, Sister
P270 · Person · 1986-

1986: Pastoral Assistant in Wymondham

Allen, Judith Mrs
P178 · Person · 1986

1986: written to from Sawston Parish

Allen, Louis Rev (-1931)
P084 · Person · 1912

1912: Subject of correspondence / PP at March
1931: Died (Peterborough)

Allen, Peter Rev SM BA MTh
P396 · Person · 1984-

1984: Discussions re Walsingham Shrine management and organisation
1985: being written to re concelebrating mass

Alty, D Mr
P216 · Person · 1982

1982: writing to Bishop Clark

P341 · Person · 1925

1925: Mentioned in Abbot Egan's letter
Born 26 May 1864, Gibraltar; Died 1 October 1949. He studied at St Edmund's College, Ware, and St. Thomas's, Hammersmith. Ordained on 25 February 1888 - appointed assistant priest at Hammersmith from September 1892 to June 1896. He was afterwards at Ss Mary and Michael Church, Commercial Road, East London, first as assistant priest, then as rector from June 1896 to April 1901. Appointed rector of the mission at Walworth in the Archdiocese of Southwark. He was the founder of The John Fisher School in 1929. Consecrated as Bishop of Southwark by Cardinal Francis Bourne on 25 March 1904. Having received the personal title of Archbishop on 18 December 1937, he remained in control of the diocese until his death on 1 October 1949, aged 85.

Annie, PCC
P511 · Person · 1985

1985: writing to Bishop Clark

P206 · Person · 1900-1954

John Peter Arendzen was born in January 1873 in Haarlem, Holland, the eldest of nine and the first of four to be ordained to the priesthood in England. After his education in Holland, John entered St. Thomas' Seminary, Hammersmith and transferred, aged 20, to St. Mary's College, Oscott in March 1893 and ordained there on 21st September 1895.

After a PhD at Bonn University and his DD at Munich University, he graduated at Christ's College, Cambridge with a BA in 1901 and an MA in 1906 . Whilst there he was assigned to the Mission Church in St. Ives. Initially he celebrated Mass at a small wooden chapel, purchased by benefactor George Pauling, but such was his missionary zeal that from a base of no Catholics, by 1902, fifty six were evident and a larger church was required. George Pauling donated £1000 which bought the redundant Church of St. Andrew in Cambridge. This was dismantled, transported by barge to St Ives, and rebuilt on its present site in Needingworth Road, in less than 5 months.

On Sunday 16 March 1902, he laid the foundation stone which included the Latin inscription “AD FIDEM REDEANT ANGLI” ('May the English return to the Faith'). The church was reconsecrated on 9th July 1902 by Bishop Riddell, Bishop of Northampton and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. At the opening ceremony Fr. Arendzen's brother Leo acted as thurifer, their parents and three sisters were in the congregation.

Fr Arendzen was a tireless, devoted, eloquent and scholarly priest, totally dedicated to his life in the Church, and to whatever role he was assigned. He won a place in the hearts of parishioners, fellow priests, students and all who knew him. He had a reputation as a brilliant orator and was named by one national newspaper as 'one of the preachers of the century', no mean feat given that English was not his native language. He was a prolific author writing many essays, several articles to the Catholic Encyclopaedia in 1913, the Journal of Theological Studies, the Jewish Quarterly and annotations to the Douai Bible. His literary activity included the Catholic Gazette, the Catholic Times and several books, including: 'Ten Minutes a Day to Heaven', 'Heaven Sense: What Scripture and the Catholic Church Really Teach about Heaven'.

He died in London on 21st July 1954 aged 81, his Requiem Mass was held at Sacred Heart Church, Kilburn, across the street from the Arendzen family home.

Armitage, John Rev
P021 · Person · Ordained 1979

Appointed as the Rector of the National Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham by Bishop Alan Hopes. Took up his appointment on Ash Wednesday, February 18th 2015.
Parish Priest at St Margaret's in Canning Town and St Anthony's at Forest Gate. Vicar General in the Diocese of Brentwood from 2003.

Arthurton, Anthony
P712 · Person · 1998-

1998: SJB Book of Rememberance
2021: Graduated Durham University in 2021 reading Classical Civilisation
2022: Graduated Masters programme at Durham University in 2022 reading Ancient Philosophy

Ashton, E J Miss
P174 · Person · 1986

1986: letter signed by her to Fr O'Toole at Sawston

Atherton, Richard Rev
P724 · Person · 1987

1987: correspondence regarding Littlehay (was Gaynes Hall Borstal)